1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barbaro with Another Setback

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Jan 28, 2007.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Idaho's wish fulfilled...

BC-APNewsAlert,0027

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Barbaro was euthanized Monday morning, co-owner Roy Jackson said.

2. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Eat a dick, Idaho.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

That was my thought.

Was my post, cold and heartless? Yes. But I really think it's an overblown non-story. I'm glad it's over now and the horse is not suffering any longer.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

You'd better watch your step Idaho. Karma says you'll slip and fall and break a leg -- and I'm guessing there's not a stud option.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Actually, karma hit me earlier with some knee pain. For whatever that's worth.

My stupid comment was probably out of line and morbid. But I, like others, think the horse was being kept alive in a state of pain for the sole purpose of getting a few baby Barbaros out of him.

and that, frankly, is uglier than hoping an injured animal has its misery come to an end.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Actually, I don't think stud considerations were part of it. It was made clear early that his hind legs wouldn't support getting jiggy with it and you can't do artificial insemination to create a race horse. That's against the rules.

7. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Idaho,

In case you don't read it in the other thread, I apologize. I grew up with horses, and this story resonated with me. I've lurked here long enough to understand you're generally one of the board's most easy-going people, which is why I was surprised by your post.

I still disagree with your assessment of Barbaro's owners, though. They could have cut their losses at the track by putting him down and collecting the insurance. I think they genuinely wanted to try everything to save the horse -- not for stud fees, but because they considered him more of a pet than an investment. If you had the money they did and could afford to try everything to save a pet, wouldn't you do it (assuming the animal wasn't suffering)?

I think they tried everything, but in the end decided that the second Barbaro was in too much pain to go on, it was time to put him down.

Draft saved Draft deleted