1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barbaro put down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Jan 29, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And so I did. EOA.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Look, I've got no problem with people grieving about a dog or a cat that's been in their family for years. Animals you develop a bond with, sure. But we had thousands of emails, friggin EMAILS!, sent to this horse that most of us only saw on TV, and only for a few minutes a couple different Saturdays. It was next to impossible to develop any sort of bond. I didn't see determination and heart. I saw a horse that ran fast.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm sad by this. I love horse racing, and get to cover it occasionally.

I would say the reason the coverage was as it was can be explained by the fact that the key moment of the story played out before our eyes. The horse won the Kentucky Derby, maybe the only race the general public cares about every year. After he won the Derby, the speculation began that he could win the Triple Crown. As many people tuned into the Preakness. They and I all saw everything as it happened. They and I saw the emotion of the trainer, owners and especially the jockey right after the fact.

From there, it became a compelling story because America by and large is a nation of animal lovers. To see one break down so dramatically on national television brought a lot of emotion to the fore.

There was the back and forth with stories going from can he be saved to he can be saved to he's suffered a setback but is doing fine to he's suffered another setback and it's not looking good to today's news. It was a compelling story because a lot of people saw it happen and couldn't avoid having some kind of sentiment towards the horse. I don't think any of the coverage was excessive.

4. christ, shockey. that's so out of line. Andre was a wonderful guy and should be remembered for who he was, not for some personal fouls he got as a 180-pound safety 20 years ago

Barbaro is a horse

5. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

There's speculation about the Triple Crown EVERY year following the Derby. Barbaro wasn't special in that regard.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Damn well put.

I can grieve a cat who slept on the pillow next to me for 13 years. A horse who ran fast ... sorry. Not so much.

7. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

How bout we antagonize you the next time one of your cats die? Then why do it here? What purpose does that serve?

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No, I'd rather you didn't. But you don't get it.

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Then what purpose does it serve by doing just that on this thread?

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That's not my point. The point is we saw an animal who was attempting to win the second leg break down on National TV. The minutes after it happened were incredible television, from the interview with the jockey, to the screen being put up and the horse being taken away in the ambulance.

Very few people had seen this ever happen before, which made the nation's fascination with the story understandable. I can't remember the last time a horse that was favored to win any Triple Crown race broke down in such a manner, if it ever has.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

None. I'm out.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Too late. Seen and remembered.

Draft saved Draft deleted