1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barbaro put down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Jan 29, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

F_H, you do raise a very good point there, however, was it good for him to be the guinea pig when most owners would never be able to afford this kind of care?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The owners seemed to genuinely care about the horse. Presumably, keeping Barbaro alive for as long as they did had nothing to do with stud fees, etc.

While the doctors are to be applauded for doing their best to keep the horse alive, let's remember the owners have been paying for all the care.

Where does this get played tomorrow? A1 or sports front? We've been running everything in the A section.

3. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Sad, sad news. I remember watching race replays of the major Derby preps. They were available on the Kentucky Derby websites. Watching Barbaro in the Florida Derby was great. He battled the second-place horse the entire way and won. That's heart. I didn't bet on him in the Kentucky Derby because I didn't think he had enough speed and he'd been off for a long time for a Derby horse. I should have realized heart sometimes beats all that. It was, however, my first year as a serious handicapper.
    I think the Jacksons did all they could. Most horses are put down immediately. Breakdowns are an ugly, unfortunate part of the game in horse racing (ask anyone would went to Arlington Park on occasion this past summer).
    It's still a sport with beautiful moments. I'll remember Barbaro in the Florida Derby coming around the turn and into the stretch run with his legs pumping. I'll remember him pulling away in the Kentucky Derby. I'll remember him for the reasons I love some of my other favorite horses ... because of their heart and character.
    Enjoy heaven's pasture.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

An A1 tease with a full story in the sports section. Unless of course the paper is in Lexington (heart of horse racing country) or in parts of the Philly area (where he was being treated).

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I hope they used a hollow-point bullet. [/Idaho]

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm guessing some horse owners become attached to the horses they own, especially the successful horses.

Isn't asking was it fair for Barbero to be a guinea pig only because his owners could afford it akin to asking would you keep your pet or child alive through experimental treatments that could make them better if you could afford it?

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

I'm not much into horse racing, but I feel sadness for everyone involved with this.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The Preakness completely ruined my day when Barbaro went down. I was sick to my stomach.

I hope Barbaro is pain free and eating all the green grass he can upstairs.

9. You know what is real sad, there's more sad commentary about this horse dying than that of Andre Waters.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Remember it wasn't the Kentucky Derby where Barbaro was injured. He won the Kentucky Derby.

It was the Preakness where he got hurt.

Just clarifying your post.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if they tried to milk a few final stud fees out of him before they put him down...

Seriously, RIP.

12. abcdefg

abcdefg Guest

I don't have a problem with what the Jackson's or veterinarians did to try to save Barbaro's life. I believe it was done with great compassion and love. Barbaro was a rare, special horse who became an inspiration. That's why there was such a great effort to save him. If what is learned from those attempts can help another horse in the future, that's not a bad legacy for Barbaro or the people who tried to heal him.

My problem is with the horseracing industry. As far as I've been told, horses are not fully developed by 2 and 3 years old. They're physically too young to be forced to race at that age, which is why it is not unusual for a horse to break down and be euthanized. It happens too often in this sport and sadly, the loss of Barbaro won't change that. Same for Ruffian and all the rest lost along the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted