1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barack Obama -- You've Got Company

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Dec 11, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Ladies and Gentleman, the next president of your United States......Dennis Kucinich!

He's going to announce another run for the White House...

http://www.cleveland.com/weblogs/openers/index.ssf?/mtlogs/cleve_openers/archives/2006_12.html#214305

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Bring. It. On. ;D

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I realize Kucinich is a punchline, but if nothing else, he provided an anti-war alternative last time out.

So he was a lot more right than a lot of people who got more votes than him.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hmm. Maybe if I volunteer he can put in a good word for me and get me a job, dammit.

5. Forget it, Zeke.
    He looks funny and he has a funny name. He's not a Serious Person like Mitt Romney or Joe Biden.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I didn't even mention that he sounded really good in the early cattle-call debates.

Though, being on the stage with Al Sharpton can do that to a man...

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FB, Well he does have great credentials. It's been what, 30 years since he bankrupted Cleveland? People are bound to forget eventually.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

this country is not ready for a vegan president

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

ROFLMAO......

10. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

Hey, hey, hey. If he's good enough for Brian Griffin, he's good enough for me.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

He bankrupted Cleveland?

I didn't know much about it. But I did some cursory research. I think it's quite a rash generalization to simply make that statement out of hand. Surely, you can appreciate the apparent complexities of that whole ordeal. I see a mention of an anti-trust violation.

Of course, while Kucinich was setting precedent as a young mayor, Mr. Bush was snorting lines with his college buddies and so forth. I hardly think you can take Kucinich to task for something he did nearly 30 years ago if we're so willing to let others off the hook for drunken driving arrests, cocaine use and so forth.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He was mayor of Cleveland. The banks called in their loans while he was in charge, bankrupting the city.

Not hard to find info. Type bankrupt, Kucinich and Cleveland into google.

He was a very young mayor, and his administration was so chaotic and poorly run that he earned the nickname "Dennis the Menace." When he threw out the first pitch at a Cleveland Indians game, he had to wear a bullet-proof vest, and sharpshooters were positioned on the roof of Municipal Stadium. He survived a recall vote after 10 months in office by only 120 votes out of 120,000 and lost to a Republican after one term, in a city in which Democrats outnumbered Republicans 8 to 1.

He may have been the worst mayor of a large city ever.

Well, since you edited your post to add to your question...

It's not a rash generalization. Nothing very complex about it either. It was the first bankruptcy of a city since the depression. Cleveland couldn't pay it's debts thanks to the boy wonder.

Not sure what Bush has to do with Kucinich. Is president a contest to see who can set the bar lowest? I actually appreciate Kucinich for what he is. He has the courage of his convictions, unlike 99 percent of elected officials, and I admire that. It's just too bad he's so wrong about so many things, particularly when it comes to basic macroeconomics. Not that he stands a chance, but he'd be a disaster entrusted with any real power.

Draft saved Draft deleted