1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barack makes this a good news day..

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Jun 13, 2008.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Sorry I offended you. Just a fact that the last thread we had on this subject, I believe it was when Bush brought it up a while back, I called it a pyramid scheme and was hammered from all your friends on the left. That's all I was saying. So I was warning my new friend Demo on that possibility.

So mind your own business. I was talking to Demo.

2. Well, social security is essentially a pyramid scheme. That doesn't make it shady or wrong.
    It is not an entitlement, however. I hate when people refer to it as that. We are paying into it. We should be getting money out of it. It's no more an entitlement than my 401(K) is.

3. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

For the record, I think social security is a terrible program. I'd like to see it go, but I'd also like to see the government find a way to reimburse me. I don't care if it's through college grants for my kids, an annual tax credit or something else.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If it is not an entitlement, then Obama wouldn't be using populist, "We'll tax the rich people more to try to make up some of the shortfall" rhetoric to troll for votes, as he did in the story that started this thread. Either you get out exactly what you paid in, with a reasonable rate of return on your "investment" in social security, or it is intended to redistribute wealth somehow--which it is. That's fine, if it is what people want, but there is nothing wrong with calling it what it is.

It is a pyramid scheme, although a government-sanctioned one, and they remake the rules every time it is about to collapse, so it has government protection that most pyramid schemes don't have. Other types of pyramid schemes have been made illegal in this country. Again, people can decide whether pyramid schemes are shady or wrong. We have outlawed them, though, because they make promises, by definition, that they can't fulfill.

As with any pyramid scheme, it is built on a shaky foundation. People paying in today, can not meet the obligations promised to people a generation ago. It would have fallen apart a long time ago, except for the bandaids that have already been put on it, such as the one Daniel Patrick Moynihan applied. The sucker is bleeding again, and this time, the program is going to fail, unless something even more drastic is done.

What tells me that Obama is exactly the same as every other politician trolling for votes, and not being honest, is that this is a populist ploy, not a prescription that tells people what they don't want to hear. People love hearing, "Hey, we'll tax the rich people for the sake of SS." Anything that taxes someone other than them sounds wonderful. The problem is that what he announced amounts to very little tax revenue. It subjects about $150,000 of 2 to 3 percent of the population to payroll tax. That isn't going to make a dent in the social security shortfall. If he wants to impress me, he'll announce the drastic payroll tax increase across the board, or the drastic reduction in benefits, that is going to be necessary to keep the program from failing. It's a certainty.

While he's at it, he really should explain how he intends to pay for everything he has proposed. If you go up and down the policy ideas he has announced on his website, it amounts to at least a quarter of a trillion dollars worth of spending. Even if he can somehow find a way to stop all funding to Iraq immediately and repeal Bush's tax cuts, which are already set to continue until 2010, he falls at least a hundred billion dollars (and that is a very conservative estimate if you add up what he is talking about) short of paying for everything he is promising people.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Here's an analysis of both candidates' economic plans.

6. The Big Ragu

FirstDown, I think that is about right. The specifics don't matter that much, because whatever they are slinging right now, is not going to be what they can do.

So I just go by the gist of what they are proposing--and don't take it that seriously, because these are unrealistic campaign promises, not the reality of what they can do.

If you are going to look at the revenue side, it helps to also look at the spending side. That didn't do that. You also have to consider their health care ideas, since it is such a significant part of our GDP. And that didn't do that, either.

The way I see it, McCain is talking about reducing tax revenues (less taxes, people love that, don't they?) at the same time he is talking about fiscal responsibility. It's kind of funny, because unless you intend to decrease spending to allow for the decreased taxes, that doesn't seem very fiscally responsible, does it? And McCain, not surprisingly, hasn't talked much about the spending side. If anything, he has made vague promises that seem to amount to more spending, even though he contrasting himself to Obama as the guy who isn't promising to spend like crazy. It's BS.

Obama isn't talking about anything near the same level of decreased tax revenues, although when you sift through his rhetoric, you realize what he has proposed will still decrease tax revenues. He's just done it in a way that will appeal to the large majority--it's populism. Middle income people will pay less in taxes, and the top 1 or 2 percent income brackets will get hit harder. The net effect is that he is still talking about decreased tax revenues overall. At the same time, though, he is making promises that amount to crazy amounts of spending. This is not fiscally responsible either, although his rhetoric regarding fiscal responsibility isn't as full of BS as McCain's. Obama almost seems to announce to me that he plans to spend hundreds of billions of dollars less than we take in.

Obama is trying to get elected by promising everyone candy canes. McCain is trying to get elected by pretending he is the guy willing to make hard choices, except then he subtly goes and promises people candy canes to hedge his bets.

Of course the reality is that neither can do what they are proposing -- without creating huge debt that has far-reaching effects people don't want to think about. If Obama or McCain could each do what they are telling people, they would saddle us with an incredible amount of debt, devalue the dollar at a time it is worth crap already, and put an anchor around our economy.

So the reality will be that they will say what they think can get them elected, and then they will not be able to do anything remotely resembling what they were talking about now. We'll get a mishmash of neutral tax policy that only differs slightly depending on which gets elected. Obama will slightly decrease taxes on middle income people and slightly increase the rates on the highest bracket. He won't be able to do anything too drastic, because of the shortfall in revenues it would create. McCain won't shuffle the deck at all. Each will push through as much increased spending as they can get away with. Obama's ideas will be grander. And he will have to keep coming back to tell people why he couldn't pull it off. McCain will pretend that he was the guy who didn't promise anyone anything. In his case, it's what he doesn't say, not what he does say, that is significant.

7. Ragu, I don't know how you can call it an entitlement when you pay in and are supposed to get something in return.
    To me, it's just that simple.
    The more you pay in, the more you are supposed to get out. That's not an entitlement, that's a retirement plan, though basically a forced one.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It's not YOUR MONEY. It's money you pay in taxes to a fund that provides people with old age and disability pensions. You can't decide what to do with this money any more than I can decide not to pay for the Iraq war with my tax money. You will get benefits when you're eligible, but part of the money you pay goes to pay for benefits for others.

Furthermore, it's in society's interest that everyone have a certain standard of living on retirement. If people had the option of investing THEIR MONEY and they lost the money in a bad investment, what would happen? Granny living on the street, eating out of garbage cans? That's why Social Security was invented, to provide a safety net for the elderly and disabled, NOT to provide you with an investment opportunity.

9. The Big Ragu

Demo, An entitlement is simply a guarantee to a benefit. So by any definition of the word, it is an entitlement program.

A lot of people think of entitlements as things that redistribute wealth, though. In the case of SS, it does that in two ways, across generations and within the same generation.

Across generations, this has worked like a typical pyramid scheme. Those who retired in the early years of SS got huge wealth transfers. They paid into the system for a short time and collected much more than they put in, in retirement. Over the years, the "payback" length of time increased--from a few years to get back what you paid in, to a longer period of time as the program crumbled, until now, when the typical worker can not expect to get paid back within the average American life expectancy. Most people are guaranteed now to not get back what you paid in. The redistribution of wealth was that future generations were sold out to subsidize earlier generations.

Within the same generation, SS is also built on a weighted-benefit formula that subsidizes workers with low earnings at the expense of people with higher earnings. The program is designed to redistribute wealth across classes also.

So if you go by the definition of an entitlement, a legal guarantee, or a right, it is obviously that.

If you talking about something that tries to take money from one group of people, for the benefit of another, it is also that.

10. I'm looking at dictionary.com and the third entry specifically mentions social security.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/entitlement

Apparently I'm wrong and you're right. However, I hate that it gets lumped in with programs like welfare. There's a huge difference between the two as far as I'm concerned.

11. I'm not an economist, but I do play one on TV ...errr ... I just finished a bachelor's in the subject after deciding I couldn't make a decent living to support a family in journalism.

That said, the FICA tax is regressive (because of the ceiling on taxable wages Obama is aiming at with his new proposal), however the Social Security benefit is progressive because poor people get a higher return on their taxes than the non-poor. Still, it is also true that the majority of Social Security benefits also go to the non-poor.

Social Security is obviously aimed at helping keep older people out of poverty. This study is dated a little bit, but it's from my Econ of Poverty text and it states that in 2001, 1 out of 11 older Americans was poor, even while receiving SS. If SS was completely done away with, almost half of all older Americans would fall into poverty.

While I think Obama's stimulus package announced earlier in the week is BS (I talked to a professor about this when Congress/Bush passed the first one and he said these "stimulus" checks are shown to have no long-term impact on the economy and are just politicians pandering in an election year... surprise, I know!) .... However, Obama's proposal for fixing Social Security isn't much different than one MIT economist Jonathan Gruber cites in his "Public Finance and Public Policy" textbook. Gruber actually suggests that by increasing the payroll tax by 3.5 percent, Social Security would be "financed" forever. Obama's approach is certainly more populist (and, as such, I would say less regressive than the system we have now) because people making under $100k would keep paying in the same amount in taxes and people making over 200-250k would pay in more than they are now. But I think Obama's plan for SS makes a lot of sense. Old folks need SS to survive. I know a lot people think these old people should just go off to their nursing home or suck it up and accept the consequences of not saving. But I don't think America as a whole agrees with those sentiments (how did Dubya's privatization plan work out?)

So there you go ... a little Econ of Poverty, a little Macro and some Public Finance mixed in!  ;D

12. If a 3.5 percent tax increase would fund the program forever, I'm all for it. I'll plunk down that money right now if I am guaranteed to have full benefits when my retirement comes.

Draft saved Draft deleted