1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bar/tavern/club recommendation thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't recall a thread like this on SJ (which doesn't mean there hasn't been one), so I figured I'd start one ... even though I don't drink much. Certainly not as much as some of you alchie mofos. :)

The idea? A catch-all thread for all things related to watering holes. We all love 'em.

Suggest some from places you know, or as I'm about to do, mention a city you're in and solicit advice.

I'm in Lexington, Ky. I'm not looking to do anymore than have a beer or drink in a quiet, chilled-out joint and/or an iconic must-visit place.

I'm going to Joseph-Beth first. Bring the suggestions.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I haven't been bar hopping in Lexington in a long damn time, but my friend (who is a bit of a beer guy) is constantly at the Beer Trappe. http://thebeertrappe.com/

Enjoy Joe-Beth's. I miss it so.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Northwest Ohio:
    - Swig's in Perrysburg (homemade dogs and craft beer on tap, plus you might bump into me)
    - Maumee Bay Brewing Co. in Toledo (inside the Oliver House, which also has a steakhouse, a cafe, a pub and a bakery...so you can go there in the morning for brunch and essentially stay all day to eat dinner and drink all night)

Upper Peninsula of Michigan:
    - Stucko's in Marquette (Huge beers, small prices)
    - Wooden Nickel in Marquette (Weird collection of college students and townies, scary, but fascinating)
    - Big Bon's in Macfarland (worst strip club EVER...which makes it THE BEST)
    - Shamrock in Marquette (strike that...it closed....WAS best bar in the county)
    - Pink Pony on Mackinaw Island
    - The Gay Bar in Gay, Michigan (just because it's a great shirt)

Mid-Michigan/Thumb:
    - Trackside in Reese (one of the best local wing joints I've been to, hamburgers are good and great local sports talk all the time)
    - Cardinals Pizza in Millington (Pizza and beer. Real cheap...the owner makes sure to hire flirting cute girls to wait on you)
    - Raincheck Lounge in Flint (total dive, but was a big hangout for the Flint Generals hockey team...not sure if worth going to anymore, but great food)
    - Diamond Jim's in Midland (For a stuffy town, not a bad place)

4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

To add to the UP, up in the Keewenaw there's The Library Brewpub (solid beer and food, some great guest taps on occasion) and Fitzgerald's at Eagle River Inn in Eagle River. Who'da thunk a tiny town in the middle of nowhere would offer such a killer beer list.

Huge fan of Town Hall Brewery in Minneapolis. Blue Door Pub as well.

Love the Old Fashioned in Madison. All Wisconsin brews and the best cheese curds anywhere.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

West Hartford, two of them:

The Half Door. http://www.thehalfdoorhfd.com/ Irish pub with live Irish bands on the weekends. Good beer selection, good food. Loud as hell, so don't go there if you're wanting a quiet night sipping beer.
    Plan B Burger Bar. http://www.planbburger.com/flash.html Holy crap do I miss this place.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

McNeil's in Brattleboro, Vermont.

Reno Room in Long Beach, California.

Salthill in Lebanon, New Hampshire.

Variety in Roswell.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I should have guessed you'd pick one I would know, spike ... A dumpy looking place with fun people, near the Superior Dome (it's been a while, though!)

Favorite U.P. bar: Marley's in downtown Manistique ... within stumbling distance of the high school gym, my former workplace and the outstanding Main Street Pizza, which sold by the slice.

Yeah, it's a small town, folks.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Ah yeah...The Library! I miss that place. Great yards of beer!

Never had a beer in "The Emerald City" Coco...may have to try it.

9. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Public House, Vermont Ave, Los Angeles
    Cap't Tony's, Key West (the Wooden Nickel's Parrothead cousin)
    Lemon Bar, Neptune Beach, FL
    Lynch's Irish Pub, Jacksonville Beach, FL (soccer bar that will always have one match or another on TV and even opened at 10 am for World Cup games a couple years ago)

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No place in Trenton?

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

McManimons -- a very cool joint, so long as you don't stumble upon dead ... well, you know.

The bar owner has a great columnist's voice in his writing. We ran him several times.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

Pretty much the coolest pub I've ever been to:

The Green Dragon Tavern has a long and rich history, playing an important part in the freedom of Boston during the War of Independence. Established in 1654 The Green Dragon was a favorite haunt of Paul Revere (Whom we consider a close Neighbor) and John Hancock (who’s brother lived next door!). Indeed, as has been ratified by Daniel Webster – the famous historian, that it was in the Green Dragon that the plans for the invasion of Lexington and Concorde were overheard thus starting the famous ride of Paul Revere.

http://www.somerspubs.com/GREENDRAGONBOSTON/index.html

Draft saved Draft deleted