1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Banning Bottled Water Sales

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 7, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

C'mon JR, you think it was the Young Republicans who were at the forefront of this campaign?

The press release itself says it was led by the Student Environmental Alliance. That sounds like a liberal group to me.

And, the campaign kicked off after a "colloquium" on the topic of water, which was conducted by the Center for Urban Environmental Research and Policy in April 2010, and a week-long series of events on campus, the students felt the time was right to take action regarding the social justice, environmental, and economical implications associated with bottled water.

And, I don't disagree with you regarding bottled water. I almost never buy it.

And, I'm happy to support anyone who wants to back up their own morals by not buying bottled water. The question is should there morals govern what is and is not available on campus.

If they don't like bottled water, they don't have to buy it.

What else should not be for sale on campus?

Have they investigated the environmental footprint of all the products on campus? Do you think the computers on campus were made in America, or were they shipped from overseas?

What about the rest of the food products Aramark is serving? They're a national vendor. I can tell you right now that they're buying from big, national sources. They're not purchasing from local farmers, ranchers, fish mongers,etc.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is one of those that makes me chuckle. People plant themselves firmly behind their "liberal" and "conservative" team flags and forget what the words even mean.

Liberal ideals favor individual freedom and freedom of action. Bans are a form of censorship. Censorship is incompatible with liberalism.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Opponents of a ban on bottled water had a year to make their case.

They did not.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

True. But these are liberals, as our current political system would define them. And, they are for bans.

That's what's so jarring about this.

The American Left is not truly liberal, in the classical sense.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So banning the use of pot is censorship? Banning cigarette sales to minors is censorship? A product is not free expression.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The choice to use a product is certainly a form of free expression.

But even muddling several ideas (individual rights versus limits on individual rights, such as protecting children, for example) the way you did, restricting a choice to use an otherwise LEGAL product is most certainly censorship.

It might not offend you the way that burning books (products) does, but it's the same exact principle.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

They haven't banned bottled water.

Looks like they've banned the sale of bottled water.

In addition, Loyola’s administration has supported water conservation efforts on campus by distributing reusable bottles to students and guests, installing 35 bottle refill stations at key locations around the Lake Shore and Water Tower campuses and implementing water conservation projects in buildings and on the grounds of Loyola.

8. dooley_womack1

So a university must have a mile-long hall consisting of vending machines of all the products in the world, because all products must be allowed to be sold on campus; otherwise, people's precious First Amendment rights are being grievously trampled.

People can have bottled water; a majority of students, using their free expression, voted for their university not to sell it. All free-expression rights can have time-place-manner restrictions. One such restriction is the private university's right to decide what's in its vending machines and cafeterias.

And for the record, I like bottled water, and I think this vote is one of the cute things college students sometimes do when they want to feel as if they have control over something. This isn't Fahrenheit Fuckin' 451

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's really consistent with reusing the chalice they use at mass to let communicants receive the blood of JC.

10. dooley_womack1

I wouldn't want the blood of any SJ member, let alone JC

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not if everyone has their own chalice - which seems to be the case here.

Draft saved Draft deleted