1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bank CEO thinks journalist salaries are 'outrageous'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I bet they've talked.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Jamie Dimon doesn't understand why newspapers even need reporters! Can't they just copy and paste stuff off of Google News like everyone else? Jesus!

3. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

Especially when you've got a wife and four kids to support. Gas will be getting cut off soon, which is odd considering how much I'm rolling in dough, being an overpaid journalist and all.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

ughh...just don't let anyone in management see this, please :)

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I've been laughed at and taken sympathy on for my salary in the past, but never have I had someone tell me I make too much $$$. Are you kidding?

6. Louisiana Rain

Louisiana Rain New Member

Guys, don't get upset about this. This guy works for a bank, which means he's a total moron considering what the banking industry has done the last few years. This is like when a writer gives lines to the village idiot just to illustrate that anyone who believes what that character is saying is in agreement with an idiot.

But since I'm logged in, I'll continue. This guy's comments are akin to Floyd Mayweather Jr. saying Manny Pacquiao brags too much. Or the Steinbrenners telling the Pittsburgh Pirates they spend too much on payroll and need to start cutting back.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hope the turd goes down six, doubled and vulnerable, every hand he picks up.

Poor baby.

8. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Dimon's comments---that's "rich." I recently read a bio of Dimon called "Last Man Standing" and it clearly demonstrates he's been an arrogant jerk his entire adult life.

9. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

Someone needs to send him to "The Most Surprisingly Low-Paying Jobs."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2012/02/29/the-most-surprisingly-low-paying-jobs/

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Jamie Dimon can go eff his one-percenter self. What a douche.

11. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

No one would consider me an apologist for bankers--just check some of my past posts--but this thread is entirely off-base. Nowhere does Dimon assert journalists get paid too much. Rather, he pointed out newspapers pay out a higher percentage of their revenues in compensation--to a group of people that includes more than just journalists--than banks do*. Granted, Dimon's comments are still unresponsive to the actual critiques of banker pay (unimportant for this thread and forum), but it's misleading to portray them in the way this thread does.

* And, as Dick points out, the number of people getting paid matters, too.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The problem is at its very best it's a crass bullshit attempt at dodging a legit issue. But even then his comments are misleading and false in so many different ways he gets no pass at all. He's completely full of shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted