1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bangladesh factory bosses: Never mind those cracks, get to work!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Death toll in the hundreds of Bangladesh factory workers who, despite police telling the management the building was structurally unsafe, ordered their workers into the factory. Hours later, the building collapsed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/24/bangladesh-building-collapse_n_3149342.html

And of course, the retailers who profit could have installed a safety plan of their own which would have cost them a maximium of $500K, but rejected it. Heaven forbid the executives sacrifice a few dollars so the workers at the subcontracting companies don't have to worry about their workplace falling down on their heads.

http://news.yahoo.com/big-brands-rejected-bangladesh-factory-safety-plan-122206229.html

A couple of factory owners were arrested, but there's some doubt as to whether they'll be convicted of anything because of their clout.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10001424127887324474004578445991168551584.html

Also, might be a good idea to keep them in protective custody, considering there's an awful lot of people in that country right now who are angry with them.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't know how you post this stuff, all while glorifying professional wrestling.

How many former WWE performers didn't live to 50?

It's a real blind spot for you Baron.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

That is a dismissive and douchy comment YF and does not really have anything to do with what was posted.

The collapse story has gooten a fair amount of attention up here as one of the clothing brands that factory produced, Joe Fresh, is part of the biggest grocery chain in Canada.

I don't know what the solution is but the basic lack of caring about the working conditions of the workers who make these products is appalling.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

We need to outlaw buildings

5. Baron Scicluna

That's because they chose to do the unhealthy combination of steroids and take numerous drugs, both prescription and illegal. And Vince McMahon finally did install an anti-steroid and drug plan after previously having one and dropping it in the '90s because 1. the government failed to prove in court he told his wrestlers to take steroids and 2. his company was under some intense competition from Ted Turner, and he, as a good businessman, decided to turn a blind eye to the health of his independent contractors.

McMahon put in this second policy to combat the very real threat that he was going to be called up before a Congressional committee to investigate the pro wrestling industry after the Chris Benoit murder-suicide. Which would have also made his family look bad just as his wife was beginning her first run for the U.S. Senate. In other words, it took the threat of government intervention into a private business for McMahon to do the right thing.

With Bangladesh, the private businesses have no fear of government intervention because, as the stories show, the government is corrupt. It got to the point where the private businesses got together to discuss their own plans, but then they decided to back down because of cost.

Oh, and YF, for somebody who's a pretty big baseball fan, I'm sure you were very concerned about the level of steroid use in baseball a few years ago, weren't you? Enough to stop watching the sport, right?

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You only cover our factory when it collapses and kills people!

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I'll probably get banned for saying this but it's obvious that the Bengali people have no sense of irony. If those owners had bothered just being a little more callous, the building would have collapsed earlier and we would have hit the 102th anniversary of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire exactly.

Let's try a little harder next time guys.

8. Baron Scicluna

It was the Triangle Shirtwaist employees' own fault for dying in the factory. They were fans of Frank Gotch and George Hackenschmidt.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Fail on all sides. I mean, don't these workers have brains? No freakin' way am I going to work in a building that I have reason to believe is on the verge of collapse. For what, $2 per day? Just say no!!

As for the owners, do they care? Doubt it.

10. Die in a building collapse.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

We need Concert for Bangladesh II

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

This could one day be you CNHI people.

I hope Bangladesh has loose gun laws so one of these survivors or their families can put some lead in the head of the company boss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.