1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bands who actually sound better in their live concert recordings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Coldplay is a great group, but live they are even better. That is one group whose concerts I would travel
    the globe. Another one is the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Tragically Hip are awesome live and I am going to be seeing them in September when they come to Halifax. Playing live does something to Gord Downie and it's awesome.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you obviously are a great judge of music. thanks.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

'Specially when Gord goes into a stream of consciousness to make a New Orleans encore last 15 minutes ... seriously.

4. Pearl Jam, without a doubt.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I was wondering when someone would chime in with Rush. I've seen them more than anyone else live and they've yet to not amaze me.

The intro to "Tom Sawyer" was freaking hilarious. Great segue into something everyone knows they'll hear.

I'm obviously biased, but I've heard Genesis was a good live show. Hope I get to find out in a few weeks. In the two spots I've seen on TV, the guys sounded sharp - dropping the key sig in "Turn It On Again" to save PC's voice - but good nevertheless.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I concur with that ranking. Exit Stage Left was the gold standard in live concert recordings until they topped it with Rush in Rio.

7. Sam Mills 51

The only live recording I have of Rush is "Rush in Rio." I pondered getting "Different Stages," but the enthusiasm of the crowd (I mean, they're singing along to "YYZ") and the three-disc set covers a lot of territory.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

At the Rush shows I went to this tour, some dudes were trying to do the YYZ sing along. Crazy.

My wife was not happy with Rush. She likes her rock stars to have presence and sex appeal, I guess. But these guys are too busy playing music with their hands and feet to dance around and do stuff. They're not for the ladies who want to see a standard frontman, that's for sure. They were awesome, both times I saw them. Just awesome. I have seen Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy, in recent years, and all played half as long as Rush. If you're a fan, they certainly give you your money's worth, especially as they have brought out so many awesome rarities this time around.

But as for the live recordings . . . get the bootlegs. Their old live records were too structured, though In Rio is amazing.

9. Sam Mills 51

Unlike many of the group's fans, I really like the synth era, too. Without it, we don't have such treasures like "Between The Wheels," "Marathon," "Middletown Dreams" and "Turn The Page."

Then again, look at another band I like, listen to its timbre through much of its life. Not a coincidence ...

10. Sam Mills 51

Genesis. I'm a big Tony Banks fan.

Draft saved Draft deleted