1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bands who actually sound better in their live concert recordings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Not sure if they've got any live albums, but The Tragically Hip are incredible live.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Strongly disagree. She sounds better studio.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Peter Frampton.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

who?

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

The Indigo Girls. They're my favorite group, but listening to most of their studio stuff is like watching paint dry. Or listening to paint dry.

Wait, I'm confused.

Anyways, I'd rather go to a concert.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If you get the right bootleg, the Stones' live recordings totally annihiliate their studio versions for the most part. I have the version of Satisfaction that is played in the Gimmie Shelter movie ... wow ... it might be the best recording I have period.

The only official Stones live album that cuts it, though, is Get Yer Ya Ya's Out. All of the other Stones offical live albums, especially Love You Live, are below par.

I can't vouch for The Who's live output other than Live From Leeds, which leaves me a bit cold. However their version of A Quick One from Rock 'n Roll Circus (featured in Rushmore, I think) might be the best live recording ever made.

7. Faithless

Faithless Member

Here's how I'd rank Rush's live recordings as captured on CD and DVD:

1) Rush in Rio (the highlights: the Brazilian crowd singing along to the instrumental "YYZ" and the fact the guys were able to perform so well without a sound check due to the late arrival of their sound equipment from the previous gig)
    2) Exit Stage Left
    3) All The World's A Stage
    4) R30
    5) Different Stages
    6) A Show of Hands

8. [​IMG]

Really doesn't get much better than this ...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jesus loves you, write.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hip has one live album, Live Between Us, recorded some years ago in Detroit. Their are better Hip live shows on bootlegs out there. They are a superb live act....

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Stones are a great example of a band whose live albums have never accurately portrayed their live shows. I love Get Your Ya-Ya's Out, but have read it was heavily overdubbed. The rest of their live albums might have a gem or two but are largely useless.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

tell me if i'm wrong, but when i was young and cool, for the most part, only the dickheads bought live 'albums.' ... of course only until tesla came along.

Draft saved Draft deleted