1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bands who actually sound better in their live concert recordings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 24, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Take your Screaming Trees and cram it, SC!!!!

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

See, I think Rearviewmirrow is consistently Pearl Jam's best live song. They usually play a slower song before it and then as everybody is mellowing out, Stone breaks into the opening riff, which puts everybody into a complete frenzy.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm not talking about what gets you going in the arena.

I'm talking about recordings, which always sound somewhat inferior to what we have experienced in person.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Green Day, and it's all about the energy and stage presence. No one I've known has ever walked away from a Green Day concert unimpressed.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Wilco's "Kicking Television" is a great live album that expands on the songs from their album incarnations.
    Rush's "Exit Stage Left" is also good.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Except concert recordings, like The Grateful Dead, String Cheese Incident and DMB.

"Live at Radio City" by Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds is pretty damn good.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Yes it must be shouted.

However they can also be referred to as Bruce Springsteen and "the heart stomping, earth shaking, earth quaking, heart breaking, air conditioner shaking, history making, legendary E Street Band"

8. Flash

Flash Guest

I hate to say it because it is a guaranteed trip to hell but Nickelback gives a great concert - very energetic, very dynamic.

Disclaimer: free tickets, date thing, blah, blah, blah, ya know.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

LOOSER!

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Worst.Musical.Taste.Evar.

11. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I'm still amazing how two guys with two acoustic guitars can make two great live albums ('98's Live At Luther College).

Tim Reynolds is amazing on a six-string.

12. Frank Zappa. I listen to his live recordings tons more than his studio recordings. Actually, there are only a few Zappa studio albums I listen to regularly even though I own almost the entire Zappa catalogue.

Neil Young's live recordings are top notch as well. Especially Weld/Arc.

Draft saved Draft deleted