1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bananas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Now THAT movie kicks ass. Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex is piss-in-your-pants funny. So is Sleeper. Of course, Annie Hall ain't bad either.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

All those you mentioned are awesome, Bubbler. Too bad he got so deep as the years went on and forgot how to have madcap fun.

3. In Bananas - Woody Allen makes a couple pedophile and dad sleeping with his daughter jokes. I find that disturbing given what happened to him and his adopted daughter.

Many of Allen's jokes were about him being a pervert but I find them less funny when you start to think he wasn't joking.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I thought it was interesting that in the Cavett interview he talks about how he was always interested in girls, even as a baby and that he never had a "latency period." Years later, this became part of a scene in Annie Hall - a flashback to his childhood, where he kisses a girl in his classroom when he was about 7.

I love his movies, but man, Woody is a twisted guy.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

There's tons of hilarious stuff in that movie. Burt Reynolds and Tony Randall. Gene Wilder and the sheep. The giant breast. Thankfully, I Tivo'ed it last night.

Top three Woddy Allen films

1. Annie Hall
    2. Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex
    3. Love and Death

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I gotta go with:

1. Crimes and Misdemeanors (in my top five movies of all time)
    2. Annie Hall
    3. Hannah and her Sisters

It's incredible that he could make a great comedy like Bananas and then make the three movies I mentioned above.

As an aside, Woody is the most famous graduate of my high school.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was going to be about Woody Allen, and then I'd click on it and it would be about bananas or boots or something.

Fielding Mellish would be one of the great all-time SJ screen names.

If you can watch Sleeper and Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex, and not laugh out loud, then we probably cannot be friends. The gigantic lactating breast on the attack....Gene Wilder in bed with the sheep....priceless.

That said, I did college thesis on Woody Allen (way pre-scandal era), and ended up completely depressed. Hard to believe someone so dark could be so funny.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Actually, he's funny BECAUSE he's that dark. Most of your great humor types are seriously disturbed people. Or even your not-so-great humor types, like my former stand-up comic roommates.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Because this thread is nothing without pictures:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

(note: trust me, you do not want to google for pictures of the giant lactating breast.)

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

[​IMG]

I'm not getting shot out of that thing! What if he's masturbating? I'm liable to end up on the ceiling!

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

webster

i always thought that would be me. midwood high, class of '74. ;D ;D ;D

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Class of '86. And unless you are Eric Segal or Noah Baumbach, neither of us comes in higher than fourth.

Draft saved Draft deleted