1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bama fan teabags allegedly dead LSU fan at Bourbon Street Krystal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

And not EVERY Bama fan and others from the other frontrunners is like that but yes there often seems to be an mixed aura of entitlement and delusion with all of the above. Least so from that list, I think, with LSU people.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

LSU has this fatalism thing going. Much like their coach, they win, and lose, spectacularly.

Example?: Taking the loss so badly that you get so drunk, you end up passed out in a burger joint. This can be as obnoxious as those fans who get obnoxious in victory.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think a lot of this can be attributed to fans "identifying" themselves as extensions of the team. The "we" that pops up in conversation isn't them trying to take credit for winning, but just a reflection of how closely they identify themselves with the team. I think these are the fans that experience the huge highs and lows depending on a team outcome. I don't know why some teams seem to have a higher percentage of these types of fans, perhaps it is the closest available thing they can "latch onto" where they live. I heard someone, maybe Silve, say that this latest SEC run is similar to the 30s in that the conference had success at a time of economic hardship as well. Throw that in with the number of kids from the SEC states serving in the military - I can understand why SEC fans go "all in."
    Especially in football. Think about it, who were the closest teams (Saints, Falcons, Bengals, and later the Panthers, Titans) - almost consistently the worst teams until relatively recently.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There are a lot of women who have passed out, been gang-raped and had no recollection of the gang rape. Doesn't diminish the offense.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Good point. Not.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Totally agree. There have been scads of e-mails swirling around amongst my LSU friends accusing players of throwing the game because the players were mad at Les Miles, saying the team won't sniff another championship and claiming recruiting is going to drop off a cliff because they lost in the national title game.
    All totally ignoring the fact that the team was clearly better than all but one other this season.

All that said, I have a feeling that the teabagged LSU fan would've ended up passed out drunk whether the Tigers won or lost.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I am just trying to see if I misunderstood.

You posted this:

Right after hondo posted this:

Again, just for clarification ... you disagree with what hondo posted?

9. BrianGriffin

The 1930s thing kind of falls apart when you take into account that, aside from Florida, the south has held its own during the Great Recession and in many areas has actually been somewhat insulated from it. This isn't Oklahoma during the Dust Bowl era.

Where I am in SEC country, the consensus is that the only way we experienced the recession was through the residual of national trends. For example, the Circuit City and Linens N' Things closed and home sales slumped, but only because loans became harder to get, not because of any kind of bubble bursting (there was none locally).

The local economy stayed fairly steady through the whole ordeal. No rapid increase in foreclosures. Unemployment below the national average. Etc.

I do think the lack of a major league sports presence and/or history is a bigger factor. The Falcons and Saints have been traditionally bad and the Jaguars and Titans haven't been around long. That makes the attachment to southern colleges more intense in comparison to, say, a Michigan fan who may have a long-standing love affair with the Lions or a Browns fan in Ohio or a Steelers fan in Western Pennsylvania or eastern Ohio.

10. BrianGriffin

I'm still looking for where I defended the sexual assault. Can't find it though. So what are you responding to?

11. BrianGriffin

Probably the biggest difference is the frustration that surrounded his group that led to whoever they were leaving him along in Krystal to have garbage thrown on him and worse. If they win, everybody is in a good mood so when somebody passes out, they take care of each other. When they lose, it's more likely to be "Fuck Les Miles, fuck Jordan Jefferson, fuck Nick Saban, fuck my passed out friend ... I'm going home!"

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Over/under on passed out drunks in the Bourbon St. Krystal in a given week?

Draft saved Draft deleted