1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baltimore Sun tabloid

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by VictoryGallop, Dec 3, 2007.

1. VictoryGallop

VictoryGallop Member

I hear the Baltimore Sun has changed its sports section to tabloid. Has anyone seen it yet? What's up with that?

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Some papers tried this in the 1980s, Denver Post among them. All it does is make it difficult for advertisers because a full-page ad needs to either be shot down to fit or run sideways across two tab pages. In the end, sports journalists love it, readers are indifferent and advertisers hate it. Guess who eventually wins?

3. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.editorsnote03dec03,0,5303956.story

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The note says it's not a full change, that Sunday sports and Friday/Monday Ravens sections will remain full-page. That's gotta drive desk folks crazy.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's a mini-tab, too.
    46.5" web. In the Tribune's never-ending quest to save on newsprint, they've created a mini paper. They should throw it in an envelope and stick it subscribers' mailboxes.

6. badmoon

badmoon Member

At least it's a short drive.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sam Zell is intrigued by your idea, and would like to offer you four two dollars for the exclusive rights to it.

[​IMG]

8. VJ

VJ Member

Granted it's only one day but I really like it so far. Although Day One is also 24 pages, I reserve the right to change my judgement once Tribune cuts the thing in half.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Nicely done.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We've been a sports tabloid for about four years now. Pittsburgh Tribune-Review started it about the same time.

And Frank knows a great deal about the business, but we seem to be winning. :)

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I wonder how much Harrisburg and Pittsburgh's moves played into this.

Then again, I heard four years ago how Harrisburg's move was going to set the world on fire. While I like the product, and the design always looks cool, I don't think it's led to a revolution.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm doubting we or the T-R had anything to do with Baltimore.

Frankly, I'm quite surprised the Sun did this. Although perhaps I shouldn't be, because the past decade or so, they've been doing everything short of printing on gold plates to establish a unique identity.

Draft saved Draft deleted