1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baltimore Sun gets reinvented

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jun 9, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Listing the top 10 guys at a golf tournament seems fine with me.

Why do you need eight inches of scores or a list of losers who are 18-over par?

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Unless they are used to it, readers bitch when you cut the golf scores. They have their faves and the roundup can't cover them all. Same with NASCAR.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If given a choice between words and agate, sports fans pick agate every time, and I'm not sure I blame them.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

All that is true, but golf agate is one of the biggest space cancers in any newspaper.

Three tournaments (PGA, LPGA, Champions) will cost you 35-40 inches in the Saturday paper and 20 inches in the Sunday-Monday papers.

As opposed to tennis, which gets smaller by 50% each day, golf agate has only two lengths --- long, and half as long.

And you gotta run the guy at +18, because "How'd John Daly do?"

I used to be one of those "agate is king" guys. But in this age, with the information available in lots of places, I would not mind a paper that had words instead. I know where to find out Daly's score. Give me a good read instead.

Draft saved Draft deleted