1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baltimore Sun buys Annapolis Capital and Carroll County Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by franticscribe, May 1, 2014.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is good news for the folks in those places or not. Landmark has been looking to unload the papers for a long time, so I guess the uncertainty is now gone. I can't imagine the Sun isn't going to look toward consolidating as much of the operations as makes sense, though.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/news/local/sun-group-acquires-times-capital/article_92a5c569-c355-5153-843a-493c280a657e.html

2. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

Would guess there will be downsizing to some degree, given the overlap on so much they do like Orioles, Ravens and advertising.

3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Nobody seems to know anything yet.

4. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

Hoping they keep this group open and don't cut staff too much....Good outfit and very solid Ravens coverage

5. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

Anyone hear any news on this one yet as far as layoffs, etc? Used to live there ....

6. podunk press

Lots of staffers have voluntarily left. Other than that ...

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Voluntarily? In this job market?

8. podunk press

Yep. The Mid-Atlantic job market really isn't so bad right now. And rather than wait around and see what The Sun Media Group will do, a lot of people are simply packing up and getting out.

9. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

Kind of strange to leave and bypass potential buyout....Good luck to those leaving

Draft saved Draft deleted