1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baltimore Sun Business Editor (And Former Sports Ed) Killed In Wreck

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Oct 5, 2009.

1. SavebyKeans

SavebyKeans New Member

My condolences. This is awful. I first met Tim when he came to interview for an ME job at our shop. In many ways, I was glad he didn't get it because he was too good to be here. I knew him during his time at the Sun and would see him at APSE functions. He always greeted me by name and with a friendly smile. What a shame.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Horrible, horrible news. Condolences to Tim's friends, family and journalism brethren. I sure hope his little girl makes it through.

3. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Tim was one of the most talented sports editors in the nation. Even better, he was a tremendous family man. Somehow, he found a way to strike a perfect balance between long, long hours at work, and lots of time with his family. He did it by sleeping about 4 hours a night.

It was not uncommon to get emails from him at 1 am. and again at 6:30 am.

True, he yawned a lot during the day, but that was a sacrifice he was willing to make as he became not only the best sports editor he could be but also the best father and husband.

Among his many strong points was a wonderful ability to lead. That's an oft-overlooked aspect of our business, but Tim knew how to manage people. Think how many people in newspapering are devoid of talent in that area. He was successful because he was not interested in taking credit for others ideas. He had plenty of good ones himself.

The profession has been diminished by his abrupt and unexplainable departure.

Heartfelt condoloences to all who mourn for him, starting with his wife Beth, who must be enduring a type of horror today unimaginable to the rest of us. A highly devout couple, my prayer for her (and the Wheatley children) is to hopefully find a tiny bit of solace from knowing how many people respected and admired their husband and father.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Same here. This is awful.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

sat at the same table with tim a few times at APSE. Always pleasant, always cordial. didn't know him well, but it's just awful to hear this news.

6. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

This is so sudden, so disturbing and so sad. Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm looking in on my son as he sleeps tonight and the Wheatley family can certain count on being in my prayers.

Wonderful, wonderful man and my last conversation with him sticks with me at this moment.

R.I.P., Tim.

7. KVV

KVV Member

Update on Tim's daughter Sarah from Sun editor Monty Cook.

To the staff:

Mary Corey, Ron Fritz and I went over to Johns Hopkins today to express The Sun's sympathy to Beth and her extended family for the loss of Tim.

Sarah Wheatley remains in critical but stable condition. She has a neck injury but movement in her arms and legs, and she was able to squeeze Beth's hand when asked. They are keeping her heavily sedated to limit movement, however.

There is no immediate word on when a memorial service for Tim might be held. The family's first priority is Sarah's health. At whatever point we receive information regarding services, I will pass that along.

Monty

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

great news on sarah. she'll be back on her feet in no time.

thanks, monty

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Condolences to the Wheatley family. Such a tragic passing.

Sarah is in my prayers.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I missed this before. Absolutely horrible news, and I wish only the best to this man's family and friends. RIP.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Best possible news we could hear right now. Praying for her and the rest of the family.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

A couple of updates for everyone:

First, the facts. The driver of the UPS truck has been charged with three traffic violations in the wreck. There is apparently no evidence that he did anything other than run the red light at the wrong time, so no more serious charges. But, if he has any kind of conscience, then he's probably dealing with an inner hell.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bal-md.wheatley22dec22,0,4204859.story

Second, Sarah, the Wheatleys' daughter who was severely injured in the wreck, is home and is recovering. Here is a story about what her classmates did for her.

http://www.explorebaltimorecounty.com/community/103547/sarahs-tree-covered-with-classmates-love/

Draft saved Draft deleted