1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ballpark review!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Do they have obese team legends serving beef at PNC?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Cincinnati

[​IMG]

Pittsburgh

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm similarly biased about the Giants. But I can't imagine anyone not falling in love with that park.

4. Starman

PNC Park and PacBell or Willie Mays Stadium or whatever it's called now, look spectacular because of the scenery OUTSIDE the ballpark. Everything inside the walls is the same as all the others.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Pork and chicken, too. And don't forget about the baked beans and slaw!!

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you're on the upper concourse at the Ballpark in Arlington and you know just where to look, you can see the office of one of the leading lights among business scholars today ... ;D

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Not saying I completely agree, but when you build a stadium on the SF Bay, it's going to look nicer than one built on the South Side of Chicago. Location matters a lot.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Chicago has two ballparks?

("Yes, but only one team, and it doesn't play at Wrigley."/SavingYouTheTrouble)

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is not true at all, at least in the case of SF. But taking the point ... the way the ballpark was built to take advantage of the scenery is part of the architecture. That's why both Pittsburgh and SF have low bleachers, instead of having the second deck ring the stadium as in many other ballparks, and why they're angled the way they are. Those views are part of the stadium.

10. Starman

All the HOK-style parks have low flat lower decks.

They're using the same blueprint on all of them, just fiddling around a bit with the trim work.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

HOK designed or not, most people I know consider Cellular Field (or whatever it's called) to be the last of the bad old parks and Camden Yards to be the park that ushered in a new era of retro design. I agree. There's little personality to the place. That's unfortunate because I thought the old Comiskey may have been the most underrated park in the country. It was a beautiful building but was always overshadowed by Wrigley.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

PNC Park is the best park in the bigs hands down. Small, comfortable, good sight lines, very affordable... and, of course, the Pittsburgh skyline behind right field doesn't hurt.

I do agree with people about PNC and AT&T, though. The backdrops help make those stadiums more pleasing. I've been to all the stadiums but San Diego and Miami... glad to answer any questions via PM or on here.

Draft saved Draft deleted