1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Balco leak uncovered

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, Dec 21, 2006.

1. awriter

awriter Active Member

I think that puts their source in "knowing violation" -- not them.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I think you're delusional.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

How is printing sworn, secret testimony from a sealed court document - one that you know to be illegally obtained - in a newspaper not a "knowing violation" of "unauthorized disclosure"?

4. That's why you're laying out agate pages and not arguing the law for a living.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Again, there's already a response that does the trick here.

6. OK, here's an actual answer. The reason I know that the reporters are not guilty under the law is because (wait for it) they aren't being charged under it. They are being held in contempt until they give the court the name of the person who can be charged under the applicable statute. That is what the whole hullabaloo about "using the media to do the government's job" is about. If they don't give up the name (s), then they will be jailed for violating the court's order, not the statutes regarding GJ confidentiality. Hence, their offense was not in obtaining and publishing the information, but in refusing to respond to a lawful directive from the presiding jurisdiction.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

How is that not a violation, though? It's contempt of court when someone unseals the records and it's contempt of court when someone knowingly violates those same conditions.

Plus, if it's not a violation of the law, why do we need shield laws? After all, no one is breaking any laws, so why would those people need additional legal protection?

Of course, as I've said about 76 times now, much of this is covered at the start of any business or journalism law course, so I'm sure I'm not telling anyone here anything they haven't heard already.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I think we have a Kool-Aid drinker. Don't let that stuff stain your teeth.

9. Don't you have a book that might sell five copies to write?

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Six copies. Get your facts straight.

11. I'm counting: You, your mom, Barry Bonds, Howell Raines, Wilford Brimley. That's five.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Then Barry, Wilford and Howell better give me some fricking pub.

Draft saved Draft deleted