1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Balco leak uncovered

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, Dec 21, 2006.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Didn't see this posted yet. I wonder what it means for Williams and Fainaru-Wada.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6296366?FSO1&ATT=HMA

Also, it appears this is going to create a bit of a stink within the PRCA.

2. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Yahoo.com, as usual, is on top of things.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Should mean they are off the hook, in theory, since they are in trouble for not revealing the source -- not for publishing the information

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, all that story says is that some guy with a reason to have sour grapes pointed a finger at the defense lawyer. But unless the FBI investigation can come up with something else pointing to the defense lawyer, it probably doesn't mean Fainaru-Wada and Williams are off the hook.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In theory...

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So will all the angry, pitchfork-and-torch-carring posters who swore up and down that it was the prosecution leaking this info, and that they wanted blood -- a pound of flesh! -- because of how irresponsible the government acted, will they now show up here and eat a nice helping of crow?

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Do steroids help you stay on a horse?

8. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Funny.

9. Here is the actual Yahoo story. Nice scoop.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=AvSwAv_HAfq.TolnQoSzVAI5nYcB?slug=jo-balco122106&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

10. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

This is Josh Peter formerly of The Times-Picayune, right? I didn't know he was back in journalism... this guy is tremendous. Man, Yahoo just hires incredible investigative journalists, huh?

11. The story says more than that. Did you read it? The FBI had the guy wear a wire when he spoke to the guy who leaked the info. I think the chronicle guys are off the hook.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I did read the Yahoo! story, but after this thread was started. In the original story linked at the top of this thread, it doesn't say anything about him wearing a wire. Even the Yahoo! story just says he wore a wire for the FBI, but McCormack is only quoted as saying he doesn't know what is on the tape. I do hope, though, that they have something corroborating his word and it gets Fainaru-Wada and Williams off the hook. They shouldn't be facing jail time for this. It's just not right.

Draft saved Draft deleted