1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bakersfield writer's career sleeps with the fishes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Spartan Squad, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

http://www.bakersfieldcalifornian.c...ld get away with making up a story like this.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So is this guy a staff writer, or just some fisherman yahoo who emails in a weekly column? I have to assume this is a dumb guy's idea of a hilarious April Fool's joke, two days early and without telling the editor.

And on a side note, I can't tell you how happy I am that April 1 falls on Sunday and I don't have to work it this year.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm guessing he's the local bait shop type. An earlier column (perhaps now a rewritten version of the column in question) calls him a "contributing outdoors columnist" with a non-staff email address.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Two fish puns in about 30 words? Spartan Squad, you might have a future as an outdoors writer.

5. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Or the makings of a revised version of the old Kip Addotta routine:

6. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

Nice try, but it's hard to retract an entire column once it has been printed, and the best way to "meet a higher standard" is to check the "facts" as they come in.

You can apologize all you want, but you basically just told your readers that your paper's "reporting" sometimes has "no basis in truth." Nothing against the editor, but it's hard to mount a comeback after that. People will be talking about it for quite a while.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I thought this thread was about the the Bakersfield Californian hiring this guy:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"Welcome to da neighborhood."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

10. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

11. Spartan Squad