1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad news in the KY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CollegeJournalist, Apr 17, 2007.

1. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I don't know how familiar you all are with The Cats Pause, a Rivals.com website that follows the University of Kentucky athletics. The website kind of rose in popularity during the whole UK coaching search.

But anyway, Mike Brent, one of the writers for Cats Pause magazine and website, died this morning. I know pretty much everyone here probably doesn't know, or even know of, Mike. But he was a budding young writer and it's always sad to see someone in the business pass, especially at a young age. He was only 27 years old.

Mike has been around the UK campus a lot and I'd met him several times. Great guy with a love for life that not many I know have.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

What happened? How did he die?

3. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Mike was a quadriplegic, and this past weekend, he apparently began feeling sick. He thought it was just a flu or cold, esp. since the weather has been so crazy here in the last 2 weeks. It got worse, so he was taken to the hospital, where he learned that he had a busted ulcer in his stomach. Of course, since he was a quadriplegic, he couldn't feel it and had no idea.

The resulting bacteria caused an infection that led to his death.

That's the story I was told. Rather unfortunate.

Like I said, Mike had a love for life not many I know have. Given his obstacles, he was always upbeat and never made excuses or anything. Great guy.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Geez that sucks. RIP.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

RIP. Sad to hear so young.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I blame Tubby Smith...

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Seriously... RIP...

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wow, Mizzou ...

RIP.

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

Terrible. RIP.

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Yeah, not exactly in the best taste, Mizzou. Don't worry, though. How did Mike become a quad?

RIP, buddy

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

After seeing the name of the topic I was all set to make an anal sex joke here. Then I read the first post. Hopefully the guy had a sense of humor and won't be waiting in heaven with a sledgehammer.
    R.I.P.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

RIP. Hope his family can feel comforted knowing he is having it easier right now than he did in this life.

Draft saved Draft deleted