1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad News in St. Pete?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Pipeline is gurgling some information, not good if what I'm hearing is true. Not ready to post details but if anyone KNOWS anything, post it or PM me.

Lord I'm getting sick of this stuff.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Crap, I know at least one person there in sports.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Any update?

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Brett McMurphy tweeted that FSU beat guy Brian Landman had been let go. Considering there's been nothing from him all week with them headed to the ACC title game, I'm assuming that's accurate. He'd been with the Times for at least two decades.

5. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Since there is a prep job open on the other board, is it possible this isn't a budget issue? Just because they're hiring doesn't mean they're not cutting elsewhere to save money, but it does raise an eyebrow.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

St. Pete is going to use Orlando's FSU content.

7. Mizzougrad96

Landman had been at the Times since 1986.

8. Mizzougrad96

Looks like they used an Andrew Carter story earlier in the week.

9. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

This news is confirmed. (Not that it hadn't been already.) The move was made without an announcement, but Mrs. Reformedhack works in the newsroom there and, after being away from the office for a while, was not able to independently verify the report until yesterday.

For what it's worth, the Times has been selectively paring its roster of long-time employees. Read into that what you will.

10. accguy

accguy Member

Well that effin sucks. I like Brian. Good dude.

11. Mizzougrad96

It will be interesting to see what will happen if FSU rises again to national title contender and all these papers don't have a beat writer in Tallahassee.

Hell, unless something has changed, Tampa hasn't had a writer in Gainesville since Staples went to SI.

Draft saved Draft deleted