1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad news in Denver ahead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WildBillyCrazyCat, Jul 2, 2008.

1. This is in the Rocky today.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/01/milstead-media-meltdown-tests-two-newspaper-town/

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Love both papers, but I've thought for a long time that the RMN would eventually fold. Denver isn't big enough for two papers.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Serious question: Has a JOA ever had a happy ending?

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If they were going to blend those two papers into one, who would win the positional battles for the new combined paper? That is, would the sports columnists be Lincicome and Kiszla? Or Paige and Krieger? Who would be left standing on the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL beats? And would the answers be the same if the question were, who should be left standing on those beats?

5. Mizzougrad96

If they took the best from each paper, they could compile one of the best staffs in the country.

6. Joe Williams

Likewise, Mizzou, if a start-up newspaper (as if there could be such a thing, ha ha ha!) hired the best bought-out and laid-off journalists in the job market, it would be one helluva newspaper.

7. Mizzougrad96

No question...

8. Lincicome was my favorite columnist in his Chicago days. ... Since he got to Denver, he's done nothing but mail it in.

Paige is unreadable.

9. Mizzougrad96

Both do their share of mailing it in these days. I'd still take Woody over Bernie right now though...

I'd take Kiszla over any of them.

10. Joe Williams

Me too. Still reports his columns and knows his own strike zone well.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

I have a hunch the one-paper model would be less than the sum of its parts.

12. Joe Williams

Probably about 50 percent less. Everyone duplicating someone at the other place could be out, out, out.

Draft saved Draft deleted