1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad news from the United Center

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ogre, Dec 14, 2006.

1. ogre

ogre Member

Just heard in the press room that the Daily Southtown was told by the Chicago Sun-Times to stop sendin its hockey writer to Blackhawks games. The Daily Southtown is supposed to use the Sun-Times story or the AP. Hopefully this doesnt mean people are about to lose their jobs in the Sun-Times News Group. But who knows.

2. The Basement

The Basement Member

regardless of the sport - this is sad on many levels. while not a fan of the NHL, it's still a sport. i can understand travel cuts, but if a team is at home, they should be covered. This isn't the Arena League.
    as for one paper telling another's writer what they can and cannot do - I don't think that's right. Can someone else who was there, or has heard about this, enlighten us further?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Eh, you're kicking a long-dead horse. I stopped caring almost a decade ago.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

They stopped long, long ago.

5. I was not there and really don't know any of the specifics. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but I believe the Sun-Times is the parent company of the Southtown, meaning the Sun-Times can tell the Southtown to do whatever it wants.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Actually, the Times covers nearby road games, but, no, they don't go to faraway places. They aren't with the Ducks on their East Coast swing now, for instance.

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Here's the question: Will the Daily Southtown continue staffing Fire matches in the spring? If the answer is yes, that should be a warning shot to Wirtz (which he will promptly ignore) about where his irrelevant franchise stands.

8. The Basement

The Basement Member

that'd be nice, but the S-town no longer sends staffers to the Fire.

9. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Isn't that more troubling? I thought the Fire's new stadium was pretty much directly in the heart of the Southtown's coverage area. Seems like they will have more a NW Herald/Kane County Chronicle type relationship building here.

10. The Basement

The Basement Member

it is troubling and I don't quite understand it. it's something the Southtown should OWN like no one else, but i'd say the Tribune guy does the best job covering soccer in the city. honestly, i dont even know if the STimes has a presence there.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

So this can kind of turn into a chicken-and-egg question: is the franchise irrelevant because the local paper doesn't cover it? Or does the local paper not cover it because the franchise is irrelevant?

Not that I agree with the statement that the franchise is irrelevant, but...

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Oh well. They used to do a pretty good job with the soccer coverage, didn't they?

Draft saved Draft deleted