1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad news for the member formerly known as PaseanaARG

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hall of Famer Paseana Dies in Native Argentina

Paseana, winning the 1992 Breeders' Cup Distaff, died Wednesday in her native Argentina.

Paseana, a Hall of Fame member and a two-time Eclipse Award-winning older female, died June 21 in her native Argentina at Dr. Ignacio Pavlovsky's Haras San Ignacio de Loyola.

"She died from hemorrhaging following a ruptured blood vessel in her abdomen," said Pavlovsky. "It was very sad."

Bred by Vacacion and foaled in 1987, Paseana was a group I winner in Argentina before Pavlovsky engineered the deal to sell her to Sidney Craig of California. Trained in Southern California by Ron McAnally. Paseana quickly became a fan favorite and was a champion in 1992-93. She captured the 1992 Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I) after being supplement for $200,000 as well as two consecutive runnings of the Apple Blossom (gr. I) and Milady (gr. I) Handicaps and two runnings of the Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap (gr. I). She also scored grade I wins in the Santa Maria, Spinster, and Vanity.

Paseana retired in 1995 with 19 wins from 36 starts and earnings of $3,317,427. She was inducted into the racing Hall of Fame in 2001.

Paseana, who experienced fertility problems at the start of her broodmare career, was sent to Argentina in 1998 in an attempt to improve them, and it was there where she produced her first and what would be her only foal. That offspring, 6-year-old Paseana's Girl (by Lode), is a member of the broodmare band owned by Craig and his wife, Jenny. Paseana's Girl produced a colt this year by Candy Ride, who was a grade I winner for the Craigs.

2. sportsed

sportsed Guest

Must have been all the weight he lost.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

We will need a formal SportsJournalists.com statement on this for sure. Is it your turn, Ace?  Maybe the former poster Paseana should handle this? Can we get him in here asap?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll take it. Give me a second to compose myself.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Of course. Take all the time you need. She'll still be dead.

6. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I'm having a difficult day, as you can imagine, but we're making it through hour by hour.

[​IMG]

To Paseana (ARG), my first equine love:
    You were my favorite. Thanks for winning me that distaff (Milady) at Hollywood Park in 1993. You made me look smart in front of my wife, who didn't think I had any idea about horse racing. I figured that since you were owned by Jenny Craig, you knew something about taking people's money. I was correct.

CAREER:
    36 starts, 19 wins, $3.1 million in purses.
    Finished in the money 31 times.
    1992 Breeder's Cup Distaff winner
    1992 Eclipse Award as champion handicap female
    1993 Eclipse Award as champion handicap female
    Won the 1993 Santa Margarita Handicap (I) at 127 pounds, still a record
    Member of the NTRA Hall of Fame, 2001

A great woman. A great mother. A great role model. A great friend.

Cue: Poison's "I Won't Forget You"

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fan favorite Paseana, a thorougbred racing champion who won a pair of Eclipse awards and the 1992 Breeders' Cup Distaff, died Wednesday in her native Argentina at age 19.

Paseana had a distinguished racing career for owner Jenny Craig, winning 19 races and more than $3 million in purses.

But rumors of bulimia and weight concerns dogged her in her twighlight years. Expected to be a top broodmare, she shunned the stallions, worrying that getting pregnant would make her look fat. As a result, she was sent packing back to Argentina in 1998.

She finally became pregnant when the stallion Boots-A-Million sneaked into the back of her stall at night. They had a daughter, Paeana's Girl, a promising filly until she went missing after arranging a meeting a poster named poloponies that she met on myspace.

The missing daughter led Pasaena to binge on peppermints. Jenny Craig suggested liposuction for Paseana, who readily agreed. The surgery was a success. But soon Pasaena wanted a tummy tuck and botox treatments. She died of ruptured blood vessel in her abdomen.

SportsJournalists.com would like to extend (its/their?) condolences.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

RIP Paseana

I was just about to send that horse an email.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Quality.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You're hired.

And to our grieving friend and colleage ARG, we are here for you. I hope you will carry with you these words of condolence:

There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know this is a solemn thread, but the words "my first equine love" startled me a little.

12. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

She was worth it, Ragu.

Draft saved Draft deleted