1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad news for SJ.com's fashionable women

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070116/wl_canada_nm/canada_life_bags_col_2

Handbags a health hazard, women warned
    Bags for women have become bigger and heavier as designers combine briefcases with handbags and straps have become longer but the extra leverage has many patients complaining of neck, shoulder and back problems.

"I see so many women with neck pains and headaches and what I usually do is look for their purse and pick it up," said Jane Sadler, a family practice physician on the medical staff at Baylor Medical Center in Garland, Texas.
    William Case, a physical therapist in private practice in Houston, Texas, said an aggravated neck or shoulder can lead to upper back problems, meaning pain may then be felt while working at a computer or playing sports.
    "The extra-large purses are quite phenomenal. They look beautiful when the women wear them, but I don't know how aware they are of the potential problems," Case said.
    Traditionally women adopted better postures for carrying loads, such as baskets on heads or strapping a papoose across the back, but placing objects on one shoulder was one of the least efficient ways of carrying a load.

"This causes a great imbalance. You only have to see people carrying bags in shopping centers, looking hunched up like Quasimodo," he said.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Yeah, they did a big blowout piece on this same topic on the local news here last week.

Earth shattering, I tell ya...

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I fear my 35-pound camera bag is greater threat to my health...

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

This is why I carry little, tiny bags that don't have a shoulder strap. Keeps my back safe and sound, and looks cuter. :D

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Heck yes they do.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, and you push the rest of your crap in a grocery cart you stole from Winn-Dixie.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Lugging my computer bag around doesn't do much for my posture either.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hey, stop trying to out me . . . besides the cart's from Albertsons.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

... and Killick chuckles, because the random ad at the top of the page is for begborroworsteal.com's... handbags.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm with you guys - I've never done the big bag thing. Especially the big "hobo" bag - yuck.

Big metalics are supposedly the thing right now. To me, it couldn't be more tacky.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have never carried one of those massive bags, but I usually also carry one in my hand. Don't like having anything under my arm, just because it feels weird.

I have two of the seat-belt bags that I carry by the straps. My one Coach bag is a hand-held, the other is a shoulder strap. I don't carry the shoulder strap one often, but it's pink. I'll carry it more in the spring and summer. :)

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Would you laugh if you knew it wasn't random? They're watching, Killick.

Draft saved Draft deleted