1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad news for me: Court rules employees can be fired for being irresistible

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

She worked for him 11 years - how is this just now an issue? Why did he ever hire her in the first place? Was the interview room pitch black? I would assume she was probably hotter as a 22-year-old anyway. Yes, that last line is probably sexist - so sue me (in Iowa, preferably).

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What a coincidence. I just decided to go into denistry. Like ... when I started to read this thread. And I'm hiring.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

"usual sexist attitude". Nice.

I simply do not take the female's side automatically in these cases as many people do. We've been conditioned, as a society, that men are evil and women are usually victims. That doesn't always happen. I've seen more than my share of female co-workers manipulate male superiors through sex appeal/flirting/other means and later threaten to expose them to HR if they don't get promoted down the road. It happens.

As for a civil case, if this has been upheld by a court judge and then the state Supreme Court, I wonder what recourse Mrs. Nelson has for a civil suit. I imagine, in a jury trial, she might win a substantial sum but the lawyers would eat up most of the resulting appeal. Although, if she gets one female juror who had a bad experience with a creepy male boss, she could win.

I will say that, legally, I think the dentist was within his rights. That doesn't mean he did the right thing. The "right thing" would be to control himself and let this "good" employee do her job. If that wasn't the right thing for him, another "right thing" could have been to terminate her and offer a much longer severance package and make some contacts to try and get her a similar position elsewhere. He gave her one month pay after 11 years of working there. That's cheap.

Yet, unless you have a written contract that says you can be terminated for cause, you are at the whim of the employer unless the firing is discrimination-based.

This is a most unusual case in that the dentist fired her BEFORE it got to the point where he was sexually harassing her. A preventative measure, if you will. So are those upset with the ruling saying he would have been better off being the truly sleazy boss - with his hands all over her between patients - and then firing her because she would have gotten paid more?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He told her that the bulge in his pants would let her know if she was dressed too provocatively, and he asked her about her orgasms.

I don't believe you're a fucking idiot, but you're sure doing a good job of playing one on this thread.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not suggesting she did anything wrong. Doesn't matter. He's the one who has the problem so he feel like he needs to fix it. And he figures he can't control himself when she's around. So he wants to avoid a situation where he gives in and has an affair and ruins his marriage, her marriage and heaven knows what else.

He's the employer. The employer is always right. Even when he's not, he's the employer and it's his call. Have no doubt she'll get another job if she wants one.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mark 2010 said, "My understanding was that any employer can dismiss anyone for any reason or no reason. That's been in the HR packet every place I've ever worked. The employee works at the will of the employer"

Not up here where we have actual laws protecting workers from arbitrary shit like this.

This dismissal would have lawsuit written all over it in Ontario And almost any judge would award this woman a substantial settlement. And perhaps make the dentist hire her back.

7. LongTimeListener

I guess the only recourse she has is to fuck the dentist's brains out, videotape it and send it to the wife.

After all, that's what she was after anyway. She had to go.

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What if Tebow were the judge? Or if the dentist went to Alabama?

10. LongTimeListener

Why would they study dentistry at Alabama?

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's all you've got for adjectives of me? :) C'mon, be a writer.

He did talk about the bulge and they did text about her sex life. Yet, at no point, did I read in the court document that she complained about it. She simply didn't respond to the text on the orgasm but she was the one who talked about her lack of a sex life.

The dentist was no angel throughout all of this but I didn't see any point where she told him to stop it. It was sexual talk but that didn't necessarily mean it was sexual harassment.

Lots of lousy and creepy bosses permeate. I think this shows he probably isn't the ideal dentist to work for. We can all agree on this. Does it mean the termination was against the law? Not necessarily and, in two courts, the answer has been "no".

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If Tebow were the judge, every time he banged the gavel, he'd hit someone in the jury box. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted