1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad news for college baseball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Aaron Suttles, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Man, you were right. Anything for a buck.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Oh, I see what you're saying ... he's saying. Maybe.

I assumed he meant the national championship game, because to my knowledge there's never been a 21-14 championship game in SEC baseball. The only 21-14 championship game involving LSU in my admittedly hazy memory banks is the 2003 BCS national championship game in football, so I figured he meant the 1998 pitching duel between USC and Arizona State for the baseball national title.

My bad. Maybe. Probably. Slappily.

3. Aaron Suttles

Aaron Suttles New Member

You can't slap the midwest guy out of slappy. It's who he is -- a Midwesterner stuck in the deep South. And he loves loathes every minute of it.

For all of our differences, I respect Slappy. Works hard. Just wish he'd have a sweet tea and enjoy life. ;)

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I could have researched that well-played, marvelously pitched arizona state-usc championship game and corrected my error, but that would have meant devoting more time to college baseball than I think it's worth. How I could have forgotten that gem I'll never know.
    For me, there's too many slow-pitch softball scores.
    In the past the local team has canceled mid-week games because "we're both out of pitching." Can't say I've ever seen a football or basketball game canceled for anything like that -- you schedule the games, play the games.
    Our local team has a doubleheader scheduled for Feb. 6 even though it'll probably 38 degrees with a wind-chill of 10.
    I've already devoted more time to college baseball than it's worth. But I will admit there are good stories out there. It's the never-ending games that suck for me, anyway.
    And I'm not a baseball basher -- major league baseball is my favorite sport as a fan.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why do you have to wish sweet tea on me?

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

As someone who grew up at a latitude in which college baseball in just about any way was impossible, I'm no big fan, but when I moved south for school (to a MAC school), I found it as a nice 'something to do' on a weekend.

Just one question: Why is the man in charge referred to as the head coach as opposed to 'manager,' like every other level of the sport?

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Generally, he's called a manager only at the professional levels. At all amateur levels I know of -- college, high school and youth league -- he's called the coach.

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

just when things can't get any worse, the local juco has opened its season.
    Gonna be a long spring

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Interesting. In my first job, admittedly with an SE with opinions as long as his experience, he insisted that anyone in charge of a baseball or softball team was a manager, no exceptions.

10. Major Batman

Major Batman Member

Kendall landed at Perfect Game. Was out of work less than a week. We should all be so lucky.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Glad to hear it.

Congratulations, Kendall.

12. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I always found college baseball coverage is proportional to the amount of pro baseball coverage at the paper. If you are in an area with a high single A, AA or higher, I usually see little college baseball coverage. In the Northeast, where baseball is crazy (Yanks, Sox, Phillies bigger than college football), there is NOTHING on college baseball. It's out of season to be quite honest for the baseball fans up here.

BTW, I love covering those summer wooden bat leagues. I've moved on, but I saw some terrific players and the sport is better than people give credit for it at the college level.

Draft saved Draft deleted