1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad news for college baseball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Aaron Suttles, Jan 26, 2011.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Cal's program will be cut after this season,barring a miracle.

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i once covered an SEC baseball game in which it took 45 minutes to play the first inning.
    That and the championship game one year with LSU that ended something like 21-14 was it for me.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hater.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The NCAA may have finally taken care of that issue with the new bat performance standards. The only way in which a metal bat will be superior to a wooden bat now is that it won't break. The sweet spot will be similar and I think the ratio of length-to-weight will be similar.

Back in those days, the late 90s, it wasn't unusual to see a middle infielder who weighed 145 hit 8-10 home runs while anybody with legit power would hit 20 or more in a 56 game season. I doubt this year if we'll see more than a handful of 20-HR guys, if that many.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The most runs LSU scored in a championship game came in 1997 when it defeated Alabama, 13-6. The 21-14 championship was in 1998, USC defeating Arizona State, the year before the bats changed to the last major change of standards before the one alluded to by BrianGriffin.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

whatever.
    Our local D-2 school, which allegedly plays a pretty good brand of baseball, routinely takes 7 1/2 to 8 hours to play a doubleheader. That they pick to first every time a runner is on doesn't help, nor does the fact that the pitchers go 3-2 on about every hitter makes it frustrating as hell to watch.

7. Johnny Dangerously

College baseball isn't for everyone -- especially people who don't remember the teams involved in the game that "was it for" them.

;)

I happen to love it, but I understand the reasons others don't.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

When did Arizona State join the SEC?

9. Johnny Dangerously

Did someone say they did?

10. Johnny Dangerously

And I've seen slappy in a baseball press box before. Just sayin' -- and I have witnesses, so don't try to deny it.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Even Larry, Daryl and Darrell did anything for a buck.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But I've also been in more college hockey press boxes than I have college baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted