1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad last names

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JBHawkEye, Jul 29, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Then there's this guy:

http://www.basket-stats.info/players/playerfile/f/gregor-fucka.htm

I'm convinced the only reason he's never been drafted is because of his name.

2. rascalface

rascalface Member

a teacher at my high school was named Dick Bone.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

There was a soccer coach who was also a basketball referee near me whose last name was Small. Not so bad unless your first name, like his, is Richard.

4. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

my 8th grade history teacher went by the name of dick johnson and that's how he referred himself to others. of course, he was subjected to constant verbal abuse from all the rebels in his classes, but i liked him because he'd have 25 extra credit questions for his tests and more than half of them were sports related. so of course, i did well in his class.

one of my favorite moments of my time in his class was that he was a HUGE celtics fan and any mention of ML carr or dominique wilkins would prompt him stop in the middle of his lecture and go on a 20 minute rant about how he was frustrated with the direction of the franchise and there was no hope with carr as coach. it was money, just say wilkins, and get a 20 minute nap break if you cared for it. i found it hiliarious.

wish i could have had his class when rickey p was running the ship. i bet he sat aside 50 minute classes to rant about that debacle.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I worked for a newspaper guy named Dick Johnson. Crusty, old-school guy, but I liked him.
    The sports editor before me liked to say "Dick Johnson ... before Johnson dicks you."
    Which, I guess, is why he got to be the former sports editor.

6. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

I went to school with a Richard Head (who punched you for even thinking of calling him Dick) ... and Richard Sukoff (pronounced Sue-cough).

7. Pillman

Pillman New Member

A guy in my hometown phone book was named Thomas Buttram.....of course he pronounced it Boot-Ram....but in the days before caller ID we would always call and ask for mr. Butt-Ram

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That was the first thing I thought of when I read it.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Actually, ot was Cobbledick.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm too lazy to scroll through all four pages of this thread but i wanted to point out that i know a guy with the word 'ass' in his last name. nice guy. actually i had a job interview with him once. he didn't hire me.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My 6th-grade teacher's name was Mrs. Hamburger. The other 6th-grade teacher's name was Mr. Fry. In our yearbook a friend wrote in our last will and testament, "I hope Mr. Fry and Mrs. Hamburger have a good time in McDonald Land."

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Some of my personal highlights:

* Grew up next door to a Baptist church with a preacher named -- and I'm not joking here -- Dewey Dick. He now lives in Kentucky, and if you think I'm kidding, http://www.switchboard.com/bin/cgin...AFEE03C2C444E1CF3203O039E2D3D09C2C44459303203

* Kid in my class had a mother named Sharon Cox.

* There's a whole clan of folks -- including one elected official -- in nearby Jasper, Ind., with the last name "Schitter."

* College roomate's best friend in high school was named Robert Pecker.

Draft saved Draft deleted