1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad last names

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JBHawkEye, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The former manager of the Class A San Bernardino Spirit (now Inland Empire 66ers) about 8-9 years ago was Ralph Dick.

Great guy stuck with an unenviable name. I heard, however, that he changed his last name after leaving San Berdoo.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You are correct Bird, but it was more like 16-17 years ago or so. Late 1980s, early 1990s. Good guy (covered many of the Spirit's games back in the day). He changed it to Ralph Dickson after he left.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Tim Allen's real name is Tim Dick. He said with that last name you either got into fights or developed a sense of humour. Apparently, athlete was the other choice. :D

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

One of the Ann Arbor high schools had an offensive lineman named Coke Dick a number of years ago.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I guess the last name Trickle wouldn't be so bad if your first name weren't Dick.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

We just noticed, also among the players in the tournament, is a kid named Jake Roberts.

Apparently he'll be carrying a snake in his golf bag.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My wife knew a family named Fagot, which was pronounced just like it looks until the son hit high school and the pronunciation magically changed to "fuh-goe."

I also know a TV reporter who's last name is Dick... except on TV, when her last name is Richard.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Of course he chooses to go by Dick. He could go by Richard or Rich, which wouldn't be quite as bad.

9. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

There was/is a pro at Bay Hill named Dick Tiddy(sp?)...

10. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

We had a teacher in high school named Mr. Knipple. And yes, the "k" was silent.

Also, the Penguins had a defenseman a few years ago named Dan Focht. But it was pronounced almost like "folk."

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Saw a chick in the Navy once who's last name was Catcher.

Once had a girl in my platoon who's last name was Kuntz.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

my favorites are sisters Wanda and Les(lie) Funk

Hey! Wanda Funk?

Hey! Les Funk!

Draft saved Draft deleted