1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad Interviewers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MartinEnigmatica, Mar 10, 2007.

1. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

We all know them. These are the people who ask the most painful and obvious questions you'd just rather not be around to hear, or do so in such a commanding way like they're on stage or something. They're known to pass the recorder from their own mouth directly in front of the coaches and athletes. My question for you all is, can you even stand to be around them? I, for one, cannot. If I have the time, I'll wait to take my own shot.

2. Also Known As: 99 percent of TV journalists ...

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hmmm...somebody here likes himself a whole bunch.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

With all the abuse for being arrogant and out of touch that the media gets from the public these days, thank goodness there's electronic media still out there so print guys can feel better about themselves.

5. Exactly ... "At least I'm not as bad as THOSE guys" :D

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's not a lie if you believe it. ;)

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, everybody has their style.

Some interviewers may seem bad to us, but if they get the quotes they need, then it works for them.

8. I figured this would be about those sad sacks who come in for a job interview with the personality and enthusiasm of a dishrag.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

yeah, but what works doesn't always seem exactly ethical to me. I've been around guys who basically give the whole "you did this, you did that, you dominated in this way," schtick, and then follow it up with "tell me about that."
    just seems lazy to me. ask of fuckin question instead of spoon-fead them the answer you want.

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Actually, I'm not too big a fan of myself...I dunno. Maybe I'm just a little burnt right now. It's 1 a.m., I'm wide awake after a killer multi-day assignment, and I think I just saw some scantily clad lassies traipse through the hotel lobby. But I could just be hallucinating.

11. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I think that's part of the problem. From my experience, there is little being done in J-schools on how to interview, so a lot of these kids come out and conduct interviews like they see on TV, which leads to very poor quality work. If you were to try to insert stuff from most TV interviews into a print story, you wouldn't get very far. The same thing happens, then, when you try to work a TV-style interview into print.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bingo.

The best questions are never written down on your notepad before you start an interview. They are the ones that come as a result of listening and immediately evaluating what an interviewee has said, and then following up on that. And once you develop that skill, you still need great preparation to be ready to use that skill.

Draft saved Draft deleted