1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad day ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColbertNation, Jan 12, 2009.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Granted, not as bad as some others that have been posted on this bored recently, but still not great. We had a staff meeting today and were informed of a wage freeze ("until the economy improves" -- how vague is that timetable?) and a reduction in mileage reimbursement. They also did some layoffs/restructuring outside of the newsroom. Supposedly, we're safe for now.
    The publisher did give us a pep talk at the end of the meeting, telling us to "Buck up." Somehow, I was less than inspired.

2. Babs

Babs Member

Wage freezes are happening in a lot of industries. If we have deflation, you'll come out ahead, oddly.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Our mileage has dropped like a rock with gas prices. Funny how it never seemed to rise nearly as fast, when it actually did.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

The mileage drop marks the second time in three weeks that the company has reneged on points that were agreed upon in our most recent contract. I'm not holding my breath waiting for them to give back any of the concessions we made.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So...if there's a contract, why aren't the details of said contract being enforced?

6. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

That is an excellent question. I wish I had an answer. Bottom line is that our guild is basically defunct and a guild in name only.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

So you pay dues to the guild and they do nothing for you?
    I'd be bitching more about that than a wage freeze or mileage reduction.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I'll take a wage freeze over a layoff any day of the week---layoffs have a penchant for freezing wages in the worst kind of way.

9. As far as the reduction in mileage reimbursement: Let me guess, it wasn't very good to begin with?

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Get used to it, kid.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Oh, I know.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. And even a closure.

Draft saved Draft deleted