1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad columns/stories from a star

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Sep 20, 2006.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I read that column and kept waiting for him to tell me what the hook was because I figured there had to be some person or web site or something that prompted the topic. It certainly isn't the kind of drivel you expect from SI or a guy of his caliber.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Does anyone have a running count of how many times Rushin's mentioned his wife in his column?

To Steve: You're married to Rebecca Lobo, she's brainwashed you into thinking the WNBA is actually interesting, she's tall, you're tall -- we get it. Enough I say.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And in this case, gives riding high in the saddle a whole new meaning...

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Think of how the world would have changed if Keith O had snagged her . . .

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Except the OP isn't asking about that particular column, rather how you tell a star guy his work wasn't up to its usual standards.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Didn't someone on here once say that Albom had a no-edit clause in his contract? Like they could only edit for style, not tinker with deathless prose or change factual errors. I can understand where a stud columnist wouldn't want to argue with some desker on deadline about the validity of asserting that Dwyane Wade is a better player than LeBron James...but I would rather make sure some dude caught me misspelling Dwyane Wade's name.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bunch of buddies who went to UConn talk about the time they saw Rebecca Lobo and Pam Webber get out of a limo with Olbermann.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Copy editors at the Freep. That still doesn't explain why the column ran unedited at every newspaper where it was syndicated. No one at any office changed it for the better, even though it was obviously wrong.

9. No-Edit contracts are more common than they should be in magazines, less so in newspapers.
    I have been gifted with great editors in my life. I owe every damn one of them.
    I've also had a handful of bad ones and they should all be fed genitals-first to a wolverine.

Draft saved Draft deleted