1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad back advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 2, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

On Friday night I was taking stuff down to the recycling box and just ever so slightly turned the wrong way and felt a twinge on the right side of my lower back. Hurt like hell yesterday, seemed to have improved this morning and has just become worse. Painful to get up from a chair or drive the car.

Using a heating pad and have taken Robaxcet but not a huge improvement.

Any advice out there?

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

(1) Moist heat, not just a regular heating pad.

(2) Taurine.

(3) Glucosamine/chondroitin blend.

3. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Basic back advice:

Bed rest for a maximum of 24 hours then activity as tolerated. Bed rest measn that and not propped in a recliner or on a couch. The idea is to get rid of gravity for a short period of time to allow the back muscles to rest. Anything longer tha n24 hours has not been shown to be effective.

Ice/heat/alternating to the painful area. Whatever makes it feel comfortable.

Drugs! Ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory is a given. If more is needed, then a narcotic like hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin in the US) in association with a muscle relaxant. My favorite is Flexeril, but Soma and Robaxin also work.

Big warning sign: If you have problems urinating or controlling bowel movements, an emergent MRI is required to rule out cauda equina syndrome, where the viability of the spinal cord is at risk. Otherwise, imaging is usually a waste of time, money and radiation.

Follow up is usually a good idea. Physical therapist, family physician or chirpractor will work. My only concern with the latter is the extensive use of radiation and the number of repeat visits that are usually recommended.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

a half-gramme of soma ...

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks Doc.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Ice packs ...  use plenty of those. My mom had a herniated disc and her doctor/chiropractor said a common misconception is that people tend to use heating pads and never think to use ice.

If you get those ice packs that have cloth on them, that's advisable for long-term use.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

It's probably a back strain, and if that's the case, lie flat on your back on the floor, with your knees bent, to release the tension on your lower back. Go to the doctor, as well, the first chance you get. Muscle relaxers also help.

8. joe

joe Active Member

Muscle relaxers help a lot of things get better.

9. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Jumping Jacks, heavy lifting, and maybe start doing the twist in the middle of your living room.

Oh... advice for a bad back. Not...right. Whoops.

:D

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Are you pregnant Tex, and trying to have a boy?

11. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Yeah, but I'm still in the first trimester, so I was trying to keep it at least a little mysterious. Thanks for blowing up my spot, sxy. Sheesh!

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Today at the gym I tweaked my left calf. I did StairMaster for 30 minutes and then did the eliptical for 5 minutes before beginning a 20-minute run on the treadmill. I got to the 17th minute when I felt something sharp and painful in my calf. It felt sort of like a tear or rip, or maybe just a slight pull, but I had to stop. It's definitely the first time I've ever felt this type of instant strain/pull/rip/tear.

I can walk on it as well as can be expected, but I can feel whatever I did by a twinge.

I've worked pretty hard the last 4-plus months to get in shape. Very hard. I'm not willing to stop because of this.

So, DocTalk, can't I just wrap the calf tightly and keep working out, or am I screwed?

Draft saved Draft deleted