1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

back problems

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Aug 15, 2006.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I've tweaked my back before, but I've never been in as much constant pain as I am in now.

I really noticed a few weeks ago after I ran and worked a bunch (bending, lifting unloading trucks).

So how do you get rid of back problems. Chiropractor and pilates have helped a little.

Should I take time off from work to let myself heal? Ice/heat? Firm mattress/soft mattress? Gunshot/bottle of pills?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A no-strings attached massage from Dr. J.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Work on core strength - mostly abs. It will help a bunch.

4. farmerjerome

That didn't work.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd take some Motrin or something and lay on your back for a day. Don't get up unless you need to. Let the back muscles relax and work themselves back into place.

Either that, or call Boots for an, um, adjustment.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Rest, rest, rest.

7. farmerjerome

Not butt problems, back problems. ;D

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Breast reduction. :D

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

[​IMG]

Bend from the knees, not your waist.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I highly recommend the preventive (and emergency) maintenance suggested in this book:

[​IMG]

11. Farmer J,

I've had back problems for years. For the last two years, I've largely been pain-free. Obviously, I'm no doctor, so I don't know the specifics of your injury, but here's what has helped me:

Managing pain once you've tweaked it:

Any sort of pain-killer will do. I use Advil or Momentum. A muscle relaxant before bed. Alternating hot and cold compresses helps stimulate bloodflow to the damaged region. A few visits to the chiropractor gets things back on track. Stretch often, despite the pain, and walk around a lot.

Preventive care:

If I'm going to the gym often, working on my abs and back, and stretching often, I never have problems. ... When I get in a rut at work and get off that schedule, it is practically guaranteed that 3-4 weeks later, I throw my back out.

One thing I always need to do is stretch my hamstrings a lot. ... I try and do this at least a couple times per day. Your hips and hammies apparently have a big effect on the lower back, so my chiropractor is always hammering that home. Stretch a lot.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Been there. Done that. Helps a lot. All I'm sayin'.

Draft saved Draft deleted