1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back pain

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tommyp, Mar 19, 2007.

1. tommyp

tommyp Member

Long story short :

Ten years ago, I ruptured two discs (L4 and L5). Tried most everything...drugs, chiropractic treatments, alternative methods (excluding acupuncture). No surgery. It got better during the years since, but at least twice in each year since, I've had flare-ups where I could still function and deal with the pain.

This time, however, is not so good. Shoveled during the ice storm on Friday and the pain was awful Saturday evening. Probably the worst I'd ever encountered. Treated with heat and ibuprofen. The pain downgraded a bit yesterday where I could function (drive a car, walk arena steps). I also have a small cold, and last night while lying in bed, I sneezed hard and could tell I did more damage.

Suffice to say, this entire day has been close to a nightmare. Crawled out of bed and have been doing my best to just stand. When I do, my walk is limited to very small steps. I managed to shower today, if only for the heat of the water. Again, heat treatments and ibuprofen, as I have nothing stronger...

Any advice on how to get rid of this? I have no health insurance to speak of, so as of right now, my doctor is a last resort. Anyone ever try acupuncture? Is this a mind-over-matter thing, as I have heard before but put little credence in? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You should go to the ask doctalk thread. Nothing worse than back pain.

3. tommyp

tommyp Member

Thanks, Ace...doing just that.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Sounds like you should just suck it up and see a doctor if it doesn't get better in a few more days. Maybe it's time you consider surgery, or something more permanent. It's only going to get worse with time.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Call Dr. Daniels

Dr. Jack Daniels

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I herniated two discs a couple of years ago playing hoops. When I've had a flare-up of the pain, not much that doctors have done -- advil, heat/cold compress and no lifting.

7. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Stretching helps me.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Work on your legs (hamstrings and quads) and your stomach muscles. They support your back and they all work together. Too little help from below leads to strain on the back (according to my best friend Dr.)

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I am having a similar problem although I have suffered no specific injury. Lower back feels fine all day long as long as I am moving around and it doesn't have time to get stiff. But I can't sleep for more than about four hours because it gets stiff and then really starts to hurt. The chiropractor has been working on it for about a month and says he can see where the problem is (twisted muscles) he just can't get them to break loose. He has sent me for x-rays to see if there is something more going on.

What has helped me some are the Icy Hot patches. Put 'em on just before I go to bed and leave 'em there all night.

My doc has also suggested sitting in a straight back chair and bending over so my torso is parallel to the ground. Hold that for about 30 seconds and do 5 or 6 reps with rest in the middle. He also suggests heat from a heating pad for about half an hour before I go to bed. If you sleep on your side (I do) he suggests putting a pillow between your legs, says it keeps everything lined up better while you sleep. I have tried, but my problem is keeping the pillow there. It moves around and falls out when I move around.

I'm trying it all, but not much seems to actually be working.

10. tommyp

tommyp Member

All these things I have heard about and pretty much done, being a 10-year veteran of this. I've just never experienced this level of pain before, where I'm a non-functional member of society (not that I was one before the injury, anyway). Thanks for the suggestions.

Bending forward so my back is parallel to the ground is a new one, but the only problem with that for me is that I can't even bend forward that far. I'll try that, for now...

And I always find that the pillow between the legs is always on the floor when I wake up.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

tommy, I went the chiropractic route for a number of years, and it certainly bought me some time. But I know I'm eventually going to have to get an M.D. involved in it, probably sooner than later. You need X-rays, consults, the whole nine yards.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree with shotglass on this one. My wife, who has had back issues before, damaged a disc about a year ago. The orthopedic doctor had her in rehab, but that wasn't getting it done. She finally saw a neurologist and was in surgery within two weeks.

The recovery from the surgery takes a while, but terrible pain from her back down her legs was completely gone immediately. Not everybody is a candidate for surgery, but if you are, it can make you feel better than you have in years.

Draft saved Draft deleted