1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baby Names ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Jan 20, 2011.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Rhody, as an aside, a couple kids were asking what paper I wrote for now at the last game I was at. One of them asked if I knew "the guy who talked to Colton after every game" - I immediately knew it was you they were talking about ;)

Cooper and Jackson are solid names. Less sold on Brady, since regardless of your reasons, everyone is going to pin it on a tribute to Tom Brady. And for the above paragraph, naming your kid Colton could have comical implications in that particular region, so I'm all for it. Have you thought about Jamal just to confuse people?

2. sgreenwell

When I was a sub, I constantly sassed kids over the stupid spellings of their names. Typically, the smarter the kid, the more annoyed they were that mom and dad had named them Kelley vs. Kelly or Jordyn vs. Jordan. The dumber kids just got indignant that anyone could dare not like their name.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Well our backup options for boys were Ephraim Innocent.
    Girls we were thinking Krista Kelsey.
    The Brady choice has little to do with Tom, but I can see the confusion.
    And I don't think I was the reporter in question - although it was probably all of us.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I will give you $100 if you name your son Ephraim Innocent (Rhody) ... but only if he grows up to be a star track athlete ... and only because I know how much you hate track. :)

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Coach was calling in a basketball box one night and came across one of those strange spellings, followed by "Two points ... why did she have to score?" Mutual laughter.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

handles
    ej springsteen by a nose. good thing it was just a coinkadink 'cause if mrs. shockey suspected i was only enthusiastically in agreement on 'ej shockey' i'm perty certain he would not be 'ej shockey.' it was also very good that she was the first to offer up, 'how does 'evan james' sound to you?'

i mean, she's on board with my brooce! fanaticism 'cause she's a fan, too, but naming our son ej just 'cause it was good enough for the boss would have freaked her out....

though i must admit i was pleased to learn bruce shares our taste in names...

it's also satisfying to report that all three stooges (eric david, evan james, alex scott) are quite happy with their handles. whew!!

7. sgreenwell

Heck, I'd throw in $200. And Rhody, it was definitely you they were talking about - they gave me a physical description. They differentiated between you and "that blonde soccer guy."

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

That's professional.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Friend of mine just announced he and his wife welcomed their first daughter to the world yesterday.

Her name: Logan.

Why? Because her big brothers lobbied hard to name her "Wolverine." So, parents compromised and went with Logan. Funny.

10. sgreenwell

$75 a day doesn't buy much professionalism. I will also clarify, to make myself seem like a less horrible person, this was normally in that lull as class was going to end, or if things were going well in a class. I wasn't really crackin' wise when they were supposed to be doing the 50 pages of busy work most teachers leave when there is a sub.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Making fun of the students shouldn't take place in the classroom. That's what the teachers' lounge is for. :)

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

7?

Draft saved Draft deleted