1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Axl begins his flake out!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I heard it.

I disagree.

Axl is a much more singular talent than Slash.

Brian May said that Axl was the only rocker he has ever heard who could hit all the Freddy high notes in Bohemian Rhapsody, and his voice has lost nothing.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've never disputed Axl's vocal ability, but Slash was why I listened to GnR in the first place.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Great, great guitarist.

But a great guitarist can be approximated a lot easier than a great singer and front man.

But, cool.

Well have to have a Burgundy-Corningstone moment.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

They're building a wall to protect us against Canadians there, right?

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Thought I'd correct that for you, Chick.

And you're high, Columbo. Axl isn't GNR anymore than Simon LeBon is Duran Duran, or Sting is the Police or George Michael is Wham!

OK, maybe George Michael is Wham! But Andrew Ridgely got some good sex out of it!

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Funny, I just downloaded a soundboard recording of GnR from the aborted 2002 tour (complete with Buckethead).

I would not agree that Axl has lost nothing. Axl has lost the higher end of his range. Buckethead sounded a lot more like Slash than Axl sounded like Axl.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

But all with George Michael.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Buddy of mine said he sat next to Axl on the trolley in San Diego when he went to the Buccaneers-Raiders Super Bowl. Didn't realize at first it was him. Said he didn't talk to him at all, but wishes he had now.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I admit that you are above my pay grade, and I don't always get your humor on first reading.

I can only assume that that was a comic effort of making my point for me.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

PC... I saw him a month ago.

There is not a recording of Heaven's Door where he comes close to reaching the height he did at the show I went to.

I can't describe for you how incredibly smooth and rangy his voice was. Only live vocal performance I've ever heard better was Whitney Houston a dozen years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted