1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Awful ledes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Feb 28, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Okay, just wanted to make sure I could categorize your dislike correctly.

*files under "groaner"*

2. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Nah. It's all about the audience and platform. It's the AV Club. It's meant to be a little on the nose.

Lesser writers might have tripped over themselves by trying to be too cute. Pulling a lesser known reference, for example. This was a belt high fastball and it was admirably crushed.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I thought it was way too long, and badly/overly dramatic, to go for a cutesy lead. But, yeah, the kids will love it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  4. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

If you're going to call me out, at least quote the whole thing: "What a difference a year makes. Or two."

Then I was sufficiently mocked by the editor.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

This reminds me that at one point I was going back through the morgue from time to time to collect my worst pieces of writing from years past in a folder, which (I guess?) I planned to leak to someone in my family/group of friends and allow to be unveiled and mocked at a roast/drunken evening of some sort in the future.

The funniest part in hindsight is I thought I'd still be working at a newspaper in the year 2050.

6. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

Question Ledes.

I had a college professor who said you get a question lede once in your career, so make it count. We're there to answer the questions, not ask them.

7. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

In order for us to answer the questions, don't they have to be asked first?

Draft saved Draft deleted