1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Awful Halloween leads

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Those really should be used with hockey gamers.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Not Halloween related, but just read a men's hoops SID release from a "major" school with the phrases "dished the rock" and "tickled the twine" in the gamer.

Oh, and "the route was on" at the end of the first half...

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That's the route by Old Man Pigbugger's farm, right?

SpeedTchr likes this.
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

When I was a young sports reporter many years ago who didn't know any better, I covered a JC baseball game with a lot of home runs. I referred to each one with a different slang, "round tripper," "touched them all," "dinger," etc.

My wise editor said, "Dope, just call them home runs," and I have ever since.

Riptide and SpeedTchr like this.
  5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Almost forgot ... Game story from the local Short-season Single A SID intern. I don't know what was worse: the Christmas in July theme day (with red/green alternate jerseys) or that the guy wrote the headline "A Hawks Christmas Carol" but never tried to continue the metaphor beyond that. Straight up game recap, didn't even mention the jerseys. Weird.

Draft saved Draft deleted