1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Awesome reporting!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moland Spring, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

This is sort of a "Dog Bites Man" thing, but how about this crack reporting from the incomparable Andy Katz? This is from the J.J. Redick arrest story.

"The NBA draft is scheduled June 28 in New York City. How an arrest will affect Redick's draft status is unclear, though it may not hurt it, according to ESPN.com's Andy Katz."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2006/news/story?id=2482061

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The dummies at ESPN changed that graf.

"Katz reported that Katz was unavailable for comment."

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

"I think that these things hurt anybody's draft status," an Eastern Conference GM, who wanted to remain anonymous, told ESPN.com's Andy Katz. "They do in my eyes. I take these things seriously. That's too bad."

And now it does change draft status.

4. accguy

accguy Member

Moland,

It's called the internet, a place of constant updating. The goal is to put a story up fast and update/expand it as the day goes along. My guess is that Katz updates the thing four or five times by the end of the day.

The downside of being a 'net reporter is that your rough drafts are published. In a story like this, Katz can't work the phones all day and file a story at 7 p.m. Many newspaper reporters can do that, but you can't at espn.com.

Think about the last time you had a developing/breaking story that you're trying to work by phone. Think about what your story would have looked like at noon.

I openly acknowlege that Andy's writing is far from polished, but the dude is a pretty good reporter. I think he catches a bit too much crap on here.

And, no, I'm not Andy. I don't don't even play him on television.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Quoth Arn -- "J.J. is an outsanding student athlete of the highest character. He is an exemplary role model and a credit to his family and the entire Duke community."

No he's not. Sorry, he can still be a good guy and all, but when he gets the DUI he doesn't get to claim "highest character" and "exemplary role model" status for a while. He takes this like a man -- as it appears he has done after swinging the U to avoid the cops -- and he can have that status back eventually. But for today and the immediate future, he's just another guy who made a dumb mistake.

6. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

ACC: My gripe is not that his writing is not polished. I mean, it isn't, but sometimes he's a good reporter. But this: "How an arrest will affect Redick's draft status is unclear, though it may not hurt it, according to ESPN.com's Andy Katz."
    That's not good reporting. No source, just the opinion of Andy Katz, who went against his own opinion 20 minutes later. That is not good.
    We post all our breaking news stories online, too. I'm aware that my writing for online won't be as good as in the paper. But I'd never just put my opinion in a news story as if it were fact.

7. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

I agree with the gripes. Not cool.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

bump, seven years later.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Break out the media guide....

Is this the course record?

Draft saved Draft deleted