1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Awards

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Ad manager comes in and wants us to write stuff geared to win awards. Clueless, because readers don't care one way or another if a paper wins any awards.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The only people who care less than readers, I would imagine, are advertisers.

So tell the guy you have some great, award-winning ideas. Just need some travel money to pull it off.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I just need the budget to travel to the Arctic and Antarctica for a piece on climate change, travel to Haiti and another to Tibet. I should order my trophy case now.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

In my experience, the people who care about awards and the ones who don't are roughly even in this business, and the two sides will never understand each other.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There you go.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ff the ad manager came in and said that, it should piss off both camps.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Tell the ad manager to worry about his own department, and stay the fuck out of the newsroom.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I had typed almost exactly the same thing, but then, well, I read this.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Caring about awards is really, really dumb because if you actually care, you're sure to be disappointed. In my experience awards are a complete and utter crap shoot. I win with stuff I submitted just to fill up my paper's quota and lose with stuff I poured my heart and soul in to.

But they look nice on resumes, so don't ever hesitate to submit something.

Draft saved Draft deleted