1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avoid the obvious

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by joe_schmoe, Oct 30, 2014.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

This X 1,000.

Just another Friday night in my world.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

So does this mean No mention of turkeys for those of us covering games Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving weekend? You guys take all the fun out of sports writing. I think I'll just put a bullet in my head and end it all.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You need to find a new line of work.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This debate makes me happy I haven't given a whisker of a thought to prep sports in a long time.
    That said, it's a fkin gamer- the woolly mammoth of sports writing- that is often loaded down with non-seasonal cliches.
    My old rule of thumb was that if I've heard anything close to it on the telly, it doesn't go in my final copy.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Everybody at the Herald covered a Thanksgiving Day game every year, as every school in Mass. plays in one. I was there for 20 years, not only did I never use Thanksgiving in the lede, but to the best of my recollection neither did anyone else. Holiday ledes, unless you are a super writer, are not fun, they are lazy. You wouldn't use church in a lede on an NFL game just because it's Sunday.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Doc, I shudder to think of what your lede might be on Martin Luther King Day. ;)

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yes. That's one of the worst offenders.

Turning in shitty copy is the fun part?

Here's a pretty good summation of shitty ledes one should always avoid:

http://www2.copydesk.org/hold/words/clicheleads.htm

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I do have to say, MC, if every one of those rules is followed, a lot of writers will have nothing left in the toolbox.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'll be damned if I'm ever subservient to the rules of a site that calls itself "CopyDesk.org."

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The larger issue here is with the focus on ledes, generally. It's been a few years since I've written a gamer, but even when I did, I put very little thought or effort - by design - into breaking off a snappy lede. You're telling the story of what happened. When you internalize that task, lede writing is a breeze. It's by far the easiest part of the process for me. It's sustaining through the middle that's difficult.

I don't mind mentioning holidays in a gamer, whether in a lede or elsewhere, because it's almost inevitably part of the story of that day. But I think that's different than what people are warning against here.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Except straightforward, concise news reporting.

That's kind of the point.

12. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

No Halloween references in our freelancer football copy, as far as I saw. But we did have an Election Day lede. It sorta worked, but with terms like "trending," it could just as easily been about social media.

Draft saved Draft deleted