1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avengers: Endgame (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Now that I'm thinking about it, there was one for Detective Pikachu. I just remember looking at my watch when the movie started and it was a reasonable 9:36 p.m. for a 9:30 showing.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I had all of those trailers + Secret Life of Pets 2, and I saw it Thursday night.

Superhero movies are meh for me, but I went just to see it with friends who are far more into it. I've only seen like, half of the Avengers movies. I saw Infinity War last year. My take: it is nothing but a blatant cash grab that is preying on emotions to take many peoples' favorite character (Black Panther, Spiderman, etc.) snap them away, wait a year and then fix it without any major repercussions. The two people that died were never snapped. So what even is the point?

I'm here for Lumberjack Thor though.

SFIND likes this.
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I got those plus The Lion King.

I’m honestly surprised I didn’t get Spider-Man.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

First part - The way they describe their current method of time travel, what you do in the past doesn't effect your present. That's why when Rhodey suggests killing Baby Thanos, they say that won't work. So, even though Thanos 2012 or 2014 (I forget the exact year) died at the end of the movie, for the characters of the movie, the snap still happened. That's also why Ant-Man's daughter is five years older - she didn't disappear in the snap - but Spiderman isn't older - he did disappear. (Note: All of this is more confusing than it should be because they switch time travel methods from the previous movie, when Thanos can use the Time Stone to literally go back 10 seconds, to the quantum zone method, which is much more restrictive.)

The only way to create a "new" present seemingly is to do what Captain American did - he went back to 1945 and relived his life. But he basically didn't live it as a superhero - Banner got a warning from Dr. Strange's time deity friend about tinkering with the stones and the timeline, which you have to assume that Captain America heeded because things aren't fucked up at the end of the movie. He probably just led a happy life with Peggy Carter.

re: The second part, I'm almost positive we see Nebula at the funeral, and then later, there is a scene with her and Gamora talking about Quill. Unless Nebula traveled back in time somehow and we didn't see it, I think it means 2012 Gamora is in the present now, she just doesn't know the Guardians yet. I assume Tony's snap / wish was something like, "Eliminate Thanos' army," of which Gamora might not count because she openly rebelled against him at the end.

Roscablo likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Only preview in my small town's theater was for Toy Story 4.

6. sgreenwell

Ha, odd that there is such a disparity in previews. We got Gemini Man (or as my friends called it, Shitty Looper), The Lion King, Star Wars, Secret Life of Pets 2, The Long Shot, Spider-man and another generic action movie I can't even remember. No Toy Story 4, Hobbs and Shaw, or Detective Pikachu.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Lion King that was the fifth!

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I got Aladdin, Toy Story 4, The Lion King and Star Wars.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Gemini Man... we got that one, too.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Something is missing from Parker’s passport

Attached Files:

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

It was an impossible task to lasso all these stories together into a coherent movie. Infinity War and this are about as close as you’re ever going to get.

Just like Infinity War, I basically disregarded any minutiae in the plot. Heroes are trying to do x, at this moment. Can they do it? Details are for characters, not plot.

Dragged in the middle a bit, but a great flick. Definitely didn’t feel like 3 hours.

I loved how it opened with the bad guy getting killed, and how that solved nothing and in some ways made things worse.

Batman, Michael_ Gee and sgreenwell like this.
  12. sgreenwell

That was a nice little twist-em-up. And even though Thanos ultimately lost, his initial win fucked people up pretty bad. I imagine the fallout from that is still going to be mentioned in future movies.

Draft saved Draft deleted