1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Avatar": The first review is in -- it's good. Really good.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Care Bear, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I thought there might have been a thread on "Avatar" before, but I couldn't find it.

"Bottom Line: A titanic entertainment -- movie magic is back!"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/film-reviews/avatar-film-review-1004052868.story

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Can the review be any longer?

I've been intrigued to see this since seeing the preview 8 months ago.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Funny, the AP guy also wrote forever.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man I hope it sucks. You couldn't get me into a theatre to see that with a gun to my head.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Why would anyone want to make a movie about avatars?

They did use the film as a storyline in the latest Bones.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Honestly, this looks like agony to sit through for me.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I honestly can't remember a release of this magnitude that seemed less appealing to me.
    Special effects as the primary appeal, no strong source material, a pedantic black-and-white message: This movie has all the harbingers of major suckitude.

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

That's what I orginally thought. But with each passing day, I'm getting a little more intrigued by it, simply because James Cameron rarely disappoints.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Pretty good New Yorker story a month ago about Cameron that pointed out how bad the early reviews for Titantic were. No way is this going to be Titantic -- which my grandmother saw, and you couldn't have dragged her to a movie about blue alien boning -- but it could blow critically, and still kill at the box office.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The ridiculously overblown trailer was so incredibly unappealing....until ten people I truly respect tell me this movie is devastatingly good, not interested.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am open to seeing this (with kids) but I agree that when I saw the trailer I thought, what the hell is this crap?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's devastatingly good.

OK, you're still at 10.

Draft saved Draft deleted