1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avatar: See it this weekend, and see history...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Finally saw it. Special effects were amazing, but it felt like I was watching a poor version of Dances with Wolves all over again.

There were some scenes which I felt like added nothing to the movie besides, "Look, here's some more special effects!" such as the scene where the woman scientist is dying and they put her in the 'God' thing that they worshipped. She dies anyways. They could have just killed her off when they were escaping, and that would have been perfectly fine.

Had they cut out some of the stuff down to a 2 hour film or so, I would have liked it better. Instead, I kept looking at my watch during the slow parts.

Two stars out of four.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I think if they hadn't shown the scientist lady's attempted resurrection, then JakeSully's resurrection would have seemed like a big cop out at the end.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I saw it in 3D and it made me slightly motion sick (I had a feeling that was going to happen). I had to take off the glasses and watch it in 2D for awhile. The effects were amazing, the plot and dialogue decidedly less than amazing. Sam Worthington slipped back into his Australian accent a few too many times for me also. And I wish it had been shorter, because I was little bit bored. I didn't love it, didn't hate it.

I enjoyed "District 9" much, more. Sort of similar storylines.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Animal House holds up very well with repeated viewings and all of the different phrases that have held up over the years.

Finally saw Avatar Wednesday night in 3D. Ya, the dialogue could have been a bit better, but the scenery... my God, if this film doesn't win the visual effects Oscar I'll wonder if the balloting was fixed. That was about the best 3D effects I'd ever seen.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If I'm spending more than usual for dinner (an IMAX movie date is upwards of $40) then I expect better than the nutritional equivalency of bean soup. The dialogue and plot sucking is not ever going to be acceptable.

Avatar's earnings are expected to exceed Haiti's pre-quake GDP per annum when it's all said and done. No sermonizing there, but it was a Holy Shit moment when I read that the other day.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Birdman of Alcatraz. Now there's a boring movie.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I stuck my big toe in the baptismal pool and saw it last night.

Sure, it's visually striking -- but so was Brittney Spears ca. 1999.

This guy hasn't grown as a filmmaker in 25 years.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

This watches like a Christopher Guest production. Hilarious.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Doesn't age well.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I still am unconvinced that Avatar is a Best Picture-caliber film.

But after this, I would really like to see it win.

http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/blog/51-email-gaffe-could-hurt-avatars-biggest-competition

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

What an utter dumbass. (not you, PR. :) )

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like that movie, although I haven't seen it in quite some time.

Draft saved Draft deleted