1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avatar: See it this weekend, and see history...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Dec 17, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Cameron captured magic with The Abyss. No reason to think he could not do it again.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Brady Anderson hit 50 home runs in a season, but there was reason to think he wouldn't do it again.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Can you direct on steroids?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So far, Cameron is batting 1.000. I'm not a big Titanic fan, but it is the highest-grossing film of all-time.
    As cheesy as the storyline was, it was one hell of a production.

Both Terminator movies are amazing. Aliens was amazing. The Abyss was so far ahead of it's time it's not even funny.

I'll give him a pass on the Pirahna movie. :)

5. Mizzougrad96

And with Roberto Alomar's... Oh, nevermind... :)

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

The latest in a line of films to be anointed the next big thing.

Pass.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Terminator - interesting, a new twist on old Sci-fi time-travel stories.
    Aliens - Entertaining, exciting movie, with characters that make me cringe. The smarmy corporate guy, the nervous and indecisive commanding officer, the sensible officer who becomes the actual respected leader, the hardass drill sergeant type, the wimpy freakout who the filmmakers hope never makes you wonder how in the hell he got in the Space Marines in the first place, the tough, muscled tomboy, right down to her headband and heroic demise, etc. A grab bag of "military!" movie stereotypes.
    The Abyss - An absolute favorite of mine. (I'm pleasantly surprised to see the respect for it on this thread). Unlike anything else that was in theaters in that Hallowed Summer of 1989 (when I was 14), and blew away all the sea monster flicks around it (deepstar six, leviathan). Sure, there were more archtypes/stereotypes - the estranged married couple that finds love at the end, the large tough guy who saves the day, the nerdboy, the stoner type, the tomboy (again, but this time she's an oil worker!), the genius. The Cold War plotline seems dated now . . . but this movie dazzled me after a summer of blockbusters. Love the extended version.
    Terminator 2 - Kicked ass, from start to finish. Great, groundbreaking effects by ILM. A continuation of their work on The Abyss. No complaints here.
    True Lies - Garbage. The main thing I took from this is the Rolling Stone article about the computer effects, saying that Digital Domain would soon pass ILM as the main effects house, and the most innovative. Yeah, not so much. The whole Jamie Lee Curtis thing . . . I never know what to think.
    Titanic - It wasn't bad. The romance was typical: boy from the wrong side of the tracks goes after rich girl, they overcome her meanypants family's objections, yada yada, rinse, wash, repeat. The irony is that much of its repeat audience went because of the weak link in the main cast: DiCaprio. Thanks for bothering to get a period haircut, there, buddy.

I don't mind Cameron using cardboard cutouts for so many of his characters - Lucas, among others, does the same thing - but Cameron is often hailed as visionary. Avatar might well validate that view.

8. Mizzougrad96

I'm sure I'll see it, but if it was anyone but Cameron, my interest level would be very low.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I give Cameron props for making good sequels and the Terminator films but True Lies was such a horrendous piece of crap that it really leaves you scratching your head.

10. Bodie_Broadus

I may see it on DVD, but there are a few other films I would rather see. They have actors and acting in them. Not flying CGI birds.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Forget about this actor. Look at the pretty birds!

12. Bodie_Broadus

Ex-fucking-actly.

I would much rather watch Clooney in Up In The Air or Downey in Sherlock Holmes.

Draft saved Draft deleted